Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: C's at one Law School / A's at another?? 143 to Number 1  (Read 1838 times)

greg1234

• View Profile
C's at one Law School / A's at another?? 143 to Number 1
« on: December 26, 2007, 03:47:12 AM »
I went to an expensive Tier 4 law school in Massachusetts part-time for two years with 41 credits...  I got nothing but C's or C-'s and one D.. GPA 2.23 and no matter how much effort, time, and energy I put in, I always had the same result.  It got to the point where I felt hopeless.  Administrators at the school had knowledge that I showed interest in transferring and after four part-time semesters at the law school in MA, I began to think my grades were being fixed so that I couldn't transfer.
Many of my C or C- grades just didn't add up.  For instance, my property grade was a perfect example...  I did 5 practice exams, studied countless hours... knew the material inside out and backwards and even sat down with the professor to dicuss what he expected on the final exam.  Low and behold, I walked out of the exam thinking that I slamed dunked my grade, but I ended up with a C-.

My low GPA at my former Massachusetts law school and my bottom of the barrel ranking of 143 out of 151 made trasferring almost impossible...  but after countless rejections from other law schools, I did get an acceptance at a tier four law school in Houston, TX as a transfer student.

After my first full semester as a transfer student with a new GPA at my new TX law school, my first 5 grades were A, A, A, A-, B+.  I put in half the effort I did at my former law school in MA and now I am currently ranked number 1 for this past fall 2007 semester out of my class at the TX law school.

This raises serious suspecisions that something fishy may have been happening with my grades at my old school in Massachusetts.  I spent 48,000 in tution at the school in Massachusetts, worked my ass off, got ranked in the bottom of the class time and time again, and suffered a severe mental and emotional toll trying to get out of that school.  I don't want it to be true, but I am fairly certain my grades were being adjusted at the MA law school so that I wouldn't have the GPA to transfer to a school in TX.

So let me ask you guys this... how on Earth does one go from the bottom of a class at one law school to number at another?? It doens't make sense at all, but I did it.  So does anyone else think I got screwed at my old law school in Massachusetts?  I don't know if I should file a complaint with the ABA or what.  I just don't want them doing this to someone else who might try to transfer out of their school.

ronaldo699

• View Profile
Re: C's at one Law School / A's at another?? 143 to Number 1
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 04:31:20 AM »
hmm  i highhhllyyy doubt the old school was preventing you , and solely you, from transfering..  i mean, think about it, unless you slept w/ the dean's daughter, they'd have to go through great lengths to pull that off....  it also seem's that you were implying they were keeping the entire class from transfering?  well, either the class rank adds up to 400 plus kids or it doesn't.. did you speak to anyone in the top 10 percent (i.e. was there a top 10 percent??).

don't get me wrong, i feel your pain, especially as a transfer who went through great lenghts to get out of prior school as well ...    did you go over past exam's w/ prof's?  i think that would be a better way to get to the bottom of it... surely, the prof you spoke to about what to expect on the exam could tell you flat out if you fell way below that expectation or not..     

so yeah, be4 filing a complaint, i'd simply talk to some prof's and see if you deserved those marks or not.. if you still feel cheated, then take action

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 10:04:55 AM »
there is a possibility that the difference was merely the quality of students at Mass verse the quality of students in Texas.  Many people want to practice in Mass to where many students that could have gone to better schools out of state may chose the tier four.  I dont know.  Just a possibility.  May or may not be the situation.

Lloyd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 11:09:24 PM »
Or maybe this is just poor flame.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 11:41:20 PM »
Or maybe this is just poor flame.

possibly... are there expensive tier fours in Mass?

Lloyd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 11:45:34 PM »
Yes, but who already has all of their grades and knows their rank after having just taken finals?

brightline

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 11:46:35 PM »
Possible reasons for the differences:

1. The students at your new school are different

2. The curve is easier at your new school, especially in upper level classes

3. Maybe you're better at law exams now.

Who knows?

At any rate, I think filing a complaint is pointless b/c there is no way to prove any wrongdoing. Your old exams and your classmates' old exams at your MA school are likely in the trash now, and there is no way your profs are going to regrade them.

While I wouldn't be surprised if some schools try to prevent first semester top students from transferring, it is unlikely they would've spent much effort on trying to get a mediocre student to stay. If anything, the school's self interested motives would've led to them flunking you out because schools are afraid poor / mediocre students will fail the bar and hurt the school's passage rate.

My advice:

Enjoy your new grades and forget about the complaint to the ABA.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 01:13:41 AM »
Yes, but who already has all of their grades and knows their rank after having just taken finals?

so true, plus, i doubt that would put anyone at number one in their class regardless.

justaguy88

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007, 02:58:05 AM »
The answer to this grade anomaly is most likely the fact that the upper division courses you took as a 3L in Texas were graded on a more forgiving curve.  I know that at my school a strict curve is simply a "guideline" for upper division courses -- in other words, it's quite a bit easier to get A's in these classes.  Since you have completed no lower division credits at your Texas school, I'd venture to guess that your Texas GPA is based on a set of courses that were easier to obtain A's than the set of courses, cumulatively, taken by students that have been at that school all three years.

Other factors, such as the general quality of students at your texas school, may have also played a role.  But considering all of the above, I don't think the grade jump you've experienced is the result of any foul play.   It is curious though :)

DH52

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 09:21:23 AM »
I find it very suspicious that you already have all of your fall semester grades and rank.

With that said--if your story isn't bs then I think you might be right about your old school.  I can't believe that the students are that much different at two T4's.  Also, I don't believe the difference in the curve could account5 for such disparate grades. 

I transferred, too, and I suspect that something similar happened to me.  I got very good grades in my fall 1L semester and applied to transfer at a school with an early action program.  As soon as I asked the registrar's office to send my transcript out, my professors began treating me differently, and my second semester grades were significantly lower.  I was stil able to transfer, but not to the same level of school as I would have had my grades held up. 

Personally, I think you should look into filing a grievance, but if there is a prof at your old school who you trust, you might want to contact her first.