Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: working more than 20 hours?  (Read 755 times)

FSUlawStudent

• View Profile
working more than 20 hours?
« on: December 21, 2007, 08:07:50 PM »
Hey

I know the rules say you cannot work more than 20 hours, but it doesn't say what the consequences are anywhere.
Does anyone know what they would do if you worked more than the allowed 20 hours?

Will this be a problem on the BAR application?

FSUlawStudent

• View Profile
Re: working more than 20 hours?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 08:46:57 PM »
I should Say I'm a 2L now - if that matters

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 10:41:01 PM »
This is a "don't ask, don't tell" situation if I've ever seen one.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 08:52:24 AM »
I thought that was a 1L policy.  Even if it is a general policy, then just don't tell anyone.  No one's checking up on your weekly schedule.  Just don't let it interfere with classes to the point where it's noticeable (i.e. you never go to class and the professor takes attendance)

txlawstu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 10:21:57 AM »
It really depends on your school policy.  At my school it is an honor code violation and you have to sign a statement each semester when you register that you will not work more than 20 hours if you are going to school full time.  If they suspect you are working more than 20 hours for any reason you must prove you are not.  If you can't prove that then you are automatically placed in part-time status that semester and you will be withdrawn from the number of courses it takes to make you in compliance with part-time load requirements.  It is the school's discretion as to what classes they drop you from.  If they discover that you worked more than 20 hours a semester after grades, they will still withdraw you from the number of courses it takes to come within part-time requirements and you lose those hours.

In addition, because it is an honor code violation, you are subject to sanctions for violating it too.  And the 20 hours work requirement is throughout law school, it's not a 1L thing.