Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What does a summer asssociate do?  (Read 1455 times)

paul1454

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
What does a summer asssociate do?
« on: December 21, 2007, 10:28:39 AM »
I was fortunate enough to receive an offer from a great law firm in the area I want to practice.  Even though this is a 1L position, I would really like to work at this firm post-graduation.  Needless to say, I want to make a good impression.  Are firms usually understanding that, outside of the required 1L classes, 1Ls typically don't know much?  Do they try to coach and supervise your learning to make sure you have a good work product or do they expect summer associates to already know what they should be doing?  Should I be doing anything other than working on my legal research and writing skills to prepare for the summer? 

Any advice from those who have been through it would be greatly appreciated.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What does a summer asssociate do?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 10:39:46 AM »
hey, i didnt get a SA position my first year,  but had some friends that did. They didnt do anything to prepare.  I have an SA position for this up coming summer. I think its more of a training sort of program.  My buddy, as a 1L, wrote memos, did entry level work, etc.  However, they have to realize that as a 1L you have very little practical experience.  Even as a 2L, I have little real world legal experience to where I can contribute anything without a little instruction first.  They have that mentoring program during  the summer that provides some instruction into what is  required.  I think they take time to train you and provide enough feedback so you can do good work for them.  I wouldnt stress it or do anything outside school to prep for it. 

Congrats by the way.

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 10:52:59 AM »
I did not do a SA position my first year either, and while I think that Thorc is right about not stressing or worrying about it, I do have one suggestion. 

I had a friend who found out which research tool his firm used (Lexis v. West) and spent some time becoming more familiar with it.  I believe he did all the tutorials, and went to a couple of training sessions towards the end of the summer.  I remember this because a bunch of us (his classmates) were giving him a hard time about it.  But thinking back - probably not a bad idea.  I'll probably take some tutorials before I start my 2L SA just so I dont feel like a dumbass for not knowing Westlaw as well as I probably should.
2L

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 12:53:45 PM »
It's a SA, not a job as a lawyer.  They are there to kiss your ass and convince you that they are the best firm on earth to slave....er I mean work for.

Don't stress it.  1L, 2L, 3L, its all the same.  Law school doesn't prep you to practice and that is reality. 

wesclark

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 02:29:33 PM »
2LMan has the best answer so far. No matter how hard you work, your firm will be losing money on you this summer--they know it going in. They don't expect you to know anything practical or tangible. How could you? As long as you dress appropriately, interact well with the people around you, work hard and can figure out some stuff researching for them, that's all you need to worry about.