Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

If you were waitlisted this year, what's the current status of each of your WLs? (10 max)

Still WLed
 45 (70.3%)
Accepted off WL
 10 (15.6%)
Rejected off WL
 9 (14.1%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: IT'S A DRAW!!!  (Read 11526 times)

s/c

• View Profile
Re: IT'S A DRAW!!!
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2008, 01:45:31 PM »

Bence J.

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2008, 03:22:18 PM »

I'm sorry but I've a feeling the "diversity" strategy of the Dems this year is going to backfire with McCain easily getting the presidency..

Wow, ATP!!

Stella_P

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2008, 11:10:05 AM »

I'm sorry but I've a feeling the "diversity" strategy of the Dems this year is going to backfire with McCain easily getting the presidency..

He's too @ # ! * i n g old!

phoenix

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2008, 11:46:13 AM »
Back in the old days, defendants in famous trials got numbers -- the Chicago Eight, the Gang of Four, the Dave Clark Five, the Daytona 500. McCain was one of the "Keating Five," congressmen investigated on ethics charges for strenuously helping convicted racketeer Charles Keating after he gave them large campaign contributions and vacation trips. Charles Keating was convicted of racketeering and fraud in both state and federal court after his Lincoln Savings & Loan collapsed, costing the taxpayers $3.4 billion. His convictions were overturned on technicalities; for example, the federal conviction was overturned because jurors had heard about his state conviction, and his state charges because Judge Lance Ito (yes, that judge) screwed up jury instructions. Neither court cleared him, and he faces new trials in both courts.) Though he was not convicted of anything, McCain intervened on behalf of Charles Keating after Keating gave McCain at least $112,00 in contributions. In the mid-1980s, McCain made at least 9 trips on Keating's airplanes, and 3 of those were to Keating's luxurious retreat in the Bahamas. McCain's wife and father-in-law also were the largest investors (at $350,000) in a Keating shopping center; the Phoenix New Times called it a "sweetheart deal."

In 1995, McCain sent birthday regards, and regrets for not attending, to Joseph "Joe Bananas" Bonano, the head of the New York Bonano crime family. Another politician to send regrets was Governor Fife Symington, who has since been kicked out of office and convicted of 7 felonies relating to fraud and extortion.

McCain has a reputation as a politician who has difficulty keeping his pants zipped, according to Republican sources. He acknowledges that his adultery broke up his first marriage. His second wife Cindy, the daughter of a wealthy Budweiser beer distributor, was addicted to prescription narcotics and even stole hard drugs from a medical charity that she ran. McCain acknowledges that she didn't want him to run, and only agreed once he promised that she doesn't have to go to New Hampshire or Iowa.

Hera

• View Profile
MARYLAND & VIRGINIA :: FEB 12 CONTESTS
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2008, 01:33:25 PM »

238 delegates in Maryland, Virginia and the District will be at stake. Because of high concentrations of African American and well-educated voters, many political strategists say Obama could have an early advantage in all 3 states, but Clinton strategists say the New York Democrat will campaign hard across the region. Clinton strategists are especially optimistic about their chances in Virginia, where her campaign dispatched several operatives experienced in state elections. In Virginia, Clinton's steering committee includes advocates from every region of the state, including former attorney general Mary Sue Terry and Dels. Adam P. Ebbin and Albert C. Eisenberg, who represent parts of Arlington County.

papaver somniferum

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2008, 03:30:55 PM »
At this point the longer that Clinton and Obama go at it, the more it will cost them. The more divided the party, the more likely it is to lose in November. Three divided Democratic conventions in recent decades -- 1968, 1972 and 1980 -- and Democrats lost each time.

h u m a n t e a u

• View Profile
McCain female dog
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2008, 03:57:08 PM »
It's been a banner time for sexism on the presidential hustings. Some time ago, we had the John McCain supporter in South Carolina asking her hero, "How do we beat the female dog?" in reference to Senator Hillary Clinton. Senator McCain laughed, showing his good-natured appreciation for comparing women to animals. He might also be amused to know that chicks, foxes, dogs and pigs are in the same lexicon, the one aimed at keeping women down by dehumanizing them.

http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2007/11/full_video_mccain_says_supporters_bitch_query_about_hillary_is_an_excellent_question.php

More recently, we learned that Governor Mike Huckabee subscribes to the Southern Baptist Convention's position that women should "submit graciously" to their husbands. MSNBC talk show host Tucker Carlson found the utility of this idea worth some elbow-in-the-rib joking. Putting all those manly yucks aside, pundits might have noted that gracious submission is the flip-side of female dog-dom (see McCain above.) For women, there's just no in between, which brings us to Senator Fred Thompson.

When Thompson, along with the other candidates, was asked about his favorite possession, his answer to the Associated Press was his "trophy wife" Jeri. Senator John McCain prized his baseball signed by Ted Williams. For Rudy Guiliani, the answer was his grandfather's pocket watch. But Thompson possessed the notably young and attractive Jeri-prize. If women are turned into objects no one has to worry about them being bitches or submitting with insufficient grace to their husbands -- or, for that matter, becoming president.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2008, 04:10:51 PM »
but, hillary is a female dog regardless of sexism.  she is just plain evil.

sohn

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2008, 11:19:52 AM »

[...] she is just plain evil.

You think you can become President bearing no resemblance at all to someone who's "just plain evil"?
I got up one morning, couldn't find my socks, so I called Information.
She said, "Hello, Information."
I said, "I can't find my socks."
She said, "They're behind the couch."
And they were!

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2008, 03:53:21 PM »

You think you can become President bearing no resemblance at all to someone who's "just plain evil"?
[/quote]

yes, i think Bush became president both times without resembling someone evil and the same for Bill.  I also dont think Obama looks remotely evil.  Yet, hillary reminds me so much of hitler.