Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bad grade  (Read 8079 times)

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Bad grade
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2007, 12:01:53 AM »
try having your boyfriend break up with you the night before your contracts exam. I am not looking forward to that one.

My best friend had his GF of two years IM him two days before the final (during a study group meeting) and end things, lol, he brushed it off and went in and did fine.  I envy anyone that can take it that nonchalantly.

TheNewGuy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2007, 06:35:38 PM »
2 pages blank? Does "doctrinal" = LLM?

no my man..just means about substantial legal stuff instead of something like legal rhetoric-(which had the test worth 15% of the grade where i didnt see the last two pages)

got it, sry...

see I should know things like that  :D...

Yeah that's why I feel like my A in legal writing is meaningless -- no curve and only 2 credits

Well I sure as hell better get my A there next semester too.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2007, 06:49:33 PM »
A in legal writing=golden.  All that is important in being a lawyer is legal writing (over generalization I know) so I honestly think employers love that *&^%. 

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2007, 07:27:49 PM »
I'm pretty sure our legal writing class is still on a curve :-P

gershonw

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2007, 08:04:30 PM »
A in legal writing=golden.  All that is important in being a lawyer is legal writing (over generalization I know) so I honestly think employers love that *&^%. 

yeah part of why my grade is so annoying.  i only got the c+ because of the fiasco and a paper where i had typos (not structural or content type errors..but things like typing "sing" when it should be "sign") and he took off a letter grade for it...i easily would have had an average grade in that class...and the teacher and my former employers know im a good researcher (also really important in both appellate and trail level practice..your ability to argue doesn't matter if you cant spot the decided cases and statues and admin regs in your jurisdiction on the issue.)

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2007, 11:57:06 PM »
on the bright side though, you still have an opportunity to prove that you can write by making it on a journal and by improving next semester.  so, while you will have a slight disadvantage this year (you can still apply without reporting grades as i would advise), you will still be fine if you pull a journal before FRP (if that is even your intention.  Plus, they can always look at the improvements from first to second semester.  I know I went up (my prof capped the grade at a certain thing the first semester then raised the max grade the second).

gershonw

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2007, 12:45:43 AM »
well..who knows i may still grade on..dont have any other grades back (lwr is only 2 credits of 14 ) and its only 1 of 2 semesters..and the second semester is worth 16 credits not 14. (not that im counting on this or expecting it)

and yes there is write on for law review for those who dont grade on..and for those who dont make that there are other journals..other journals may not be prestigious themselves..but would help explain a low lwr grade if grade are good but lwr is unusually low in one semester

whats FRP?

TheNewGuy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2007, 02:15:24 AM »
I can't quite think about law review right now.

Makes me feel like Jim Mora talking about playoffs...

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2007, 09:57:59 AM »
true, true, FRP, at least at my school, is the Fall Recruitment Program (OCI) with the big firms and I guess a few, but limited numbers, of public interest groups.

gershonw

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2007, 01:24:15 PM »
gotcha. also i already got a 1l summer clerkship with an appellate state court judge...so that might help