Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GW to california  (Read 1201 times)

paradiddle

• View Profile
GW to california
« on: December 18, 2007, 11:12:35 AM »
i like my school but i want to get back to california. where would i probably need to place in my class to transfer from a school like GW (#20-25 ish) to Boalt, UCLA or USC?

if i'm near the top of my class, is it even practical for me to transfer to UCLA/USC (15-16)? the disparity isn't as huge as it would be to Boalt.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: GW to california
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 02:13:34 PM »
Seems like you haven't even begun law school yet..... Or you are a 1L.  If that's the case, why don't you see how difficult it is to become the top of your class at GW before even worrying about it.

However, note that GW places in CA if you have ties there and are in the top of your class.  That being said, with top of your class at GW you would have no problem getting into Boalt as a transfer........ I  know people at GW in the top 1/3 that got into UVA and UPENN.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 03:40:12 PM »
I second 2L Man.  There were people in the top 15% barely that got into NYU, and people in the top 5% that got into harvard and yale.  however, like he said, unless you really really miss home, there is no point in transferring if you have grades that would allow you to transfer (unless you want an appellate clerkship or a chance to teach).  GW places great in Cali.  Plus, the rankings are going up significantly this year, and there are rumors it will replace G-town in the T14.  Granted, I am the one that started those rumors, but in case USNews basis anything off of LSD, it is helpful to keep them circulating.

rutherford

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 04:54:09 PM »
If you want to go back to California, then I would attempt to transfer.  You may lose your GPA; however, employers will look at your GW GPA during OCI. 

My reasoning is not that GW won't get you a job in Cali, because it surely would if you had decent grades.  I based my reasoning primarily on living for the next two years in DC versus Cali.  If you like Cali, you would likely be happier there.  My two cents.

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 05:42:13 PM »
replacing gt in teh t14??!!

lloollz

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 05:44:21 PM »
replacing gt in teh t14??!!

lloollz

hahaha, it might happen, lol, spread the rumor for me... please   :P

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 09:49:52 PM »
Regardless of rank, GW appears to have similar weight with the firms on the east coast.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 09:55:40 PM »
Regardless of rank, GW appears to have similar weight with the firms on the east coast.

plus, it has some of the best students in the country by far.  :)~

I think you are just as addicted 2Lman.