Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Essay First or Multiple Choice  (Read 3048 times)

Lawbster

• View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Essay First or Multiple Choice
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 08:27:06 PM »
I like to speedily do MC first (maybe using 1/3 or 1/2 of the allotted time for them), then essay fully, then go slowly through MC reviewing what I did and answering questions that I didn't do.

Honestly, if you need to jog your memory about the subject by doing MC first, you are probably unprepared for that exam.

I do it my way because I easily pick off the MC questions that I absolutely know and have no tricks to them/the short ones, so I KNOW I have some points. Then essays. If the essays are pretty simplistic, I will have plenty of time for MC. Worst case scenario, if the essay is on something I'm unprepared for, I have time to think out the response better. Then if time is coming close to running out, I know I have many points on the MC, and can just guess "D" or something on all the remaining MC questions (again, worst case scenario) and know I'm getting at least a few points.

You can't do that with essay questions, you have to write something to get points. With MC you could presumably get points by random guessing.

KianaFran

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 11:12:06 PM »
Personally, I prefer the essay first and the multiple choice next. Multiple choice questions really don't take that long to me because there are a questions that will come to you right away. The essay queestions always take longer for me. I spend more time outlining my answer. I prefer to spend my time on the hardest part of the examm, which for me is usually the essay. And I always have time left to review my essay. Its just horrble feeling to be rushed on the essay portion and worry about missing an issue. I would rather take my chances quessing a MC question if I am low on time.

But this is just my 2 cents! :)

Prof_OSU

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 01:35:43 PM »
As a law professor (of more years than I care to admit), I can tell you that students usually finish multiple choice portions early, which gives them a bit of extra time to do essays.  If a student does the essay(s) first, two risks exist: (a) taking too long, and thus having to rush through the MC; and/or (b) being more mentally exhausted than you need to be for the MC questions.