Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Essay First or Multiple Choice  (Read 2973 times)

mf22076

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Essay First or Multiple Choice
« on: December 17, 2007, 01:20:01 PM »
So far on mixed exams I have been doing the questions first and the essay second, anyone have a system or theories on which is better?  I figure if I start the essay first I will go over the alloted time and have to rush the questions.

vaplaugh

Re: Essay First or Multiple Choice
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 01:26:12 PM »
I do the same for the same reason.

GA-fan

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 02:06:49 PM »
Depends on how well you know the info and your individual test taking strengths. I generally do well on MC, but not when I'm rushed. I do the MC 1st, usually taking less than the allotted time, then spend the remaining time on the essay. This is particularly effective on a time pressured exam- if you do essay first, then MC, then try to use anyremaining time on spotting more issues in the essay, you are probably wasting time getting reacquainted with the essay issues. Just my .02

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 03:10:33 PM »
Definitely MC first.  The MC will serve as a sort of review of the entire subject and will jog your brain on many issues, which is good for the typical "explain the world" essay.  If you do the essay first, it is almost certain that one of the multiple choice questions will make you realize something about the essay, and you'll be scrambling to go back and add to or change your essay. 

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 03:12:42 PM »
MC FIRST!  Same reasons ... and it gives me confidence ... even if I don't know the material perfectly I feel like at least I'm writing down SOMETHING and COULD be getting points.  lol

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 10:59:34 PM »
I agree... same goes for short answer vs essay. It kick-starts your brain so when you get back to the essay some of the nerves have shaken loose.

Wish I'd thought of that before my first exam! (grumble)
Vanderbilt 2010

nico

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 11:04:26 PM »
just to chime in...i've just had my first two exams and did MC first on both....and even though I feel awful about the essays, i feel really good about MC. Just what everyone is saying here--it's a quick confidence booster, there is an answer--and they've printed it out for you, etc.

But if you have the whole exam time to do both, do try and finish MC quickly so you have more time for the essays. Leave MCs you don't know for the end, if you have time. I wasted too much time on single MC questions.

Of course, I have no grades, as of now. So maybe my system sucks.

KianaFran

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 07:53:10 PM »
I always do the essay first and the MC next. I do very well and multiple choice and hate to feel rushed on the essay. I almost always have time leftover to review my essay once more. This is just what I do and has worked for me.

resipsaloquitur

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 08:12:29 PM »
We didn't have a choice in the order so essay first then MC.  But I think I would prefer it the other way around.

sweetlawgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 08:42:49 AM »
One more vote for MC first!