Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Studying day of exam?  (Read 1160 times)

Mina

• View Profile
Studying day of exam?
« on: December 17, 2007, 01:35:20 AM »
I'm a 1L evening student, my test 2maro at 6pm, should I study before or will this create stress & cuz tunnel-vision due to exhaustion?

AndiiMarie

• View Profile
Re: Studying day of exam?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 08:53:10 AM »
I try to limit myself to the amount of studying I do for the subject the exam is in on exam day.  For instance, today I have to take my contracts exam at 1 p.m.  I am only allowing myself to study contracts for 2 hours today.  I will probably study other topics, but I feel that cramming causes more harm then good.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 11:57:04 AM »
On exam day, I review my notes and then do a few hypos that I have worked through before. This gets my brain working.

I don't know how effective this method is b/c I am a 1L. However, I did this with the LSAT games on the day I took the LSAT and scored higher in the games than I ever had in practice.

Good luck!

Following the exam, you may be too tired to focus on other topics. Don't push yourself too hard at this point during exams or you will risk burning out.
Vanderbilt 2010

VitaminE

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 12:55:39 PM »
I agree with Julie McCoy. Don't push yourself to study too much right after an exam (unless you have one the next day or something crazy). You will burn out.

If I have an exam in the afternoon, I will read my outline (and if there is a rulebook I will read the applicable rules) once that morning. Then I make sure to eat a good meal and feel as relaxed as I can before going into the exam.

You don't want to freak yourself out right before your exams.

Once your exam is over (if you're at all like me) there is no way you'll be able to study for the rest of that day/evening. Don't be too hard on yourself about it. Have a drink or two and relax.

Of course, I have an exam tomorrow and I'm not even done outlining for it yet. I ended up in the Top 15% last year, even with my general laziness. I'm hoping that my 2L slide won't sacrifice my GPA too much. But I'll be happy with graduating in the top 1/3.

Good luck with your exams :) And enjoy winter break!!!

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 02:36:13 PM »
If I had an exam at 6 p.m., I would definitely study as much as I can the day of the exam. Not studying or taking it easy would do more harm than good for me because I would be too nervous about the exam. As far as burnout goes, you're going to be burnt out no matter what you do so don't worry about it. Embrace the burnout - You'll have a month to get unburntout.

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 04:23:06 PM »
Embrace the burnout - You'll have a month to get unburntout.

This is what gets me through exams... I can't imagine what I would do without this wonderful break.  Today I am in my sweatclothes and have spent the day re-organizing my life and watching daytime TV.  Yay for breaks.
2L

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 06:57:09 PM »
My exams ended on Thursday. And then... I slept for the past 3 days. It was glorious. I was completely useless, laying in bed and watching infomercials.
Vanderbilt 2010