Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transfer from PT to FT  (Read 13826 times)

SabKof

• View Profile
Transfer from PT to FT
« on: December 15, 2007, 04:55:25 PM »
I was accepted to the PT program, but i do not plan on working and would ideally like to switch to FT asap. Can anyone give me some suggestions as to what the best way to go about this would be? Since i have to do PT, should i find a job- even though i don't plan on keep it for longer than i have to? Does the PT program have less prestige?

USC313

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Transfer from PT to FT
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 08:16:53 PM »
I'm in a PT program currently. It takes 4 years instead of 3. All it essentially means is that you take 1 less class per semester than FT students. However at my school you have the option to switch into the FT program after your first year if you choose. You can also take summer classes to catch up and finish in 3 years. I worked one night a week this semester. My advice is to access your workload before you commit to any jobs--PT is easier than FT of course, but it's not a cake-walk either.

I don't really see much difference in terms of prestige, at least at my school. You still graduate with the same degree and most people are too busy with classes and homework to be worried about what students didn't have to take Property I because they are PT. I suspect you'd end up looking like a jackass if that was the most important thing on your mind. In any event, don't stress over the PT thing--go for it, see what your school requires for an eventual switch into FT, and if anyone gives you BS for being part time tell them to go pound sand.