Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Worst 3L GPA dropoff you've ever heard of?  (Read 2635 times)

ngdo2007

• View Profile
Worst 3L GPA dropoff you've ever heard of?
« on: December 15, 2007, 04:11:24 PM »
I think I might go under 3.0 this semester after being around 3.8 the first two years.  My downfall- all difficult, curved classes and no motivation at the end of the semester.  This would be a truly spectacular fall and hopefully I win the prize for the biggest tank.

Bob Loblaw Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Worst 3L GPA dropoff you've ever heard of?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 04:32:28 PM »
from a 3.8 to sub 3.0 for the semester? eh, not that cool.

from 3.8 to sub 3.0 cumulative? wicked awesome.

Alamo79

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 05:07:11 PM »
I'd be impressed.  Or maybe astonished is a better word.  Sounds like you're a glutton for punishment; most 3Ls I know seem to be coasting or looking for a GPA boost.

ngdo2007

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 09:06:47 PM »
I fell into the trap of allowing the summer people at the firm to encourage me to take "useful" classes even if it hurt my GPA.  There are some crazy soft, easy A's out there. One prof taught 2 classes last semseter and gave 100% A's!  This semester he decided instead of having an exam, people got to go in and talk to him for a few minutes about a topic "at least somewhat" related to the course and he's giving them all A's as well. 

oscarsonthepond

• mmm....bOOYA!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 12:58:17 AM »
I fell into the trap of allowing the summer people at the firm to encourage me to take "useful" classes even if it hurt my GPA.  There are some crazy soft, easy A's out there. One prof taught 2 classes last semseter and gave 100% A's!  This semester he decided instead of having an exam, people got to go in and talk to him for a few minutes about a topic "at least somewhat" related to the course and he's giving them all A's as well. 

What school do you go to?  I thought every school had some type of grading requirements (e.g. an enforced median or mean).

ngdo2007

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 01:08:55 AM »
Only classes with 40 or more need be curved- thus it is possible to have all uncurved classes your final 2 years  and just face the curve in 1L.  Sadly, I have only had 2 uncurved classes total.  The seminar classes are capped at 25 and are basically a guaranteed A for no work- but you don't learn anything at all.    :D

unlvcrjchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 11:56:23 PM »
Only classes with 40 or more need be curved- thus it is possible to have all uncurved classes your final 2 years  and just face the curve in 1L.  Sadly, I have only had 2 uncurved classes total.  The seminar classes are capped at 25 and are basically a guaranteed A for no work- but you don't learn anything at all.    :D

Forty or more? Wow, that sure is lenient!  At my school, the forced curve will come into effect as soon as 20 students have enrolled.  Thus, the only way to be sure to avoid the harsh curve is to take a writing class because writing classes are limited-enrollment classes: usually limited to 12-15 students.

LawLady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 05:31:29 PM »
That is amazing!  We have a less strict curve for classes with less than 25, but there is still a curve for everything.