Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: done with first exam, feel severely crappy  (Read 9869 times)

1Lchica

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
done with first exam, feel severely crappy
« on: December 14, 2007, 03:48:33 PM »
So I took my torts exam this morning. I have no doubt in my mind I couldn't have done any better than a C, and I'm really disappointed. I missed a few big issues (ones I know of anyway - there could definitely be more), and it's like I got really confused about duty in negligence. (And negligence was about 90 percent of our test.) I just have no idea if she'll even be able to follow anything I wrote. I really feel like I screwed up, and I still have two more exams (one on Monday, and one on Thursday), and I'm afraid this feeling is going to carry over for them and I'll just give up. Some people seemed just fine with how the exam went, and I just don't understand how they can feel that way about it; I thought it was ridiculously tough, just like how I've always thought torts was way too hard to understand :( :( :(

Just wanted to vent.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: done with first exam, feel severely crappy
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 03:53:49 PM »
First, it's clear that you're talking to people about the exam. STOP IT.  Stop it now, and don't do it for any more exam.  I've gotten As on exams where I felt sort of "meh" after the test, but after talking to a couple of people I was in a panic.  It doesn't help, so just stop.

Second, not everyone is good at everything, and some subjects are just harder for others.  For my first year, contracts was the bane of my life.  It was my lowest grade, I knew it would be going into the test, and I was pretty certain coming out of the test too.  Torts is for you what contracts was for me.  It's over now, you're done, you should rejoice that you're finished.

So take the night off, go see a movie, do whatever to have a little fun, and tomorrow morning move on to the next subject, and be glad you're not studying negligence any more.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 03:55:19 PM »
just remember bella, ignorance is bliss.... most of the people that feel like they did really well probably messed up too... plus, you are mad smart i am sure, and you will do fine

StrictlyLiable

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 03:59:58 PM »
Jacy's right. Don't EVER talk to other students after a test. Its over, there is nothing you can do to change what you wrote. Move on.

If its any concilation, for every test I think I bombed I always got a B or above. For those that I thought I rocked, I received C (and sometimes lower). Our perceptions about how we do, hardly ever match up to the reality.

1Lchica

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 05:56:45 PM »
Ugh, thank you guys. I just woke up from taking a nap, so that helped. I feel like this is the only place I can post these things and people actually understand what I am going through. My family is like, "Well, you always felt you did back in ugrad too..." and I'm like, "it's not really the same."

Anyway, you're right. There's really no way to tell how I *really* did, and even if I did horribly, hey, at least I'm done with that stupid class. I'm just glad I live away from campus and don't have to walk into the law school because I can't handle those people who think they're Cardozo or Posner.

jcvidal

• It could always be worse
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 08:21:25 PM »
Yeah, I feel your pain.  As a reply to one of the posts stated, I find that, for the most part, the more exhausted and crappy I feel after a final, the better my performance and vice versa.   

1Lchica

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 08:26:29 PM »
I dunno if this is a mistake, but I'm trying to work on my outline for my next test Monday. It's rough. and I keep thinking about today.

Is there a difference in feeling crappy that you just didn't use the right concepts or you analyzed stuff wrong vs. maybe there was some stuff you missed? Because I'm definitely falling on the left side of that spectrum.

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 08:57:48 PM »
After your first semester of 1L exams, it does get easier to just take an exam and then forget about it. Last year, 1st semester, I could barely remember anything I wrote for my Civ Pro exam. I felt like I wrote garbled nonsense and was fairly certain I failed. I got a B+. There have been other times where I felt I did well and I only ended up with a B. And then there have been times when I felt I did well and actually did well.

TheNewGuy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 09:55:17 PM »
anyone ever not finish / have to outline an entire essay question when it appeared that the rest of the section didn't have that much of a timecrunch and still turn out ok...???

I'll latch onto any success stories in ignorance until grades come out...

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 11:23:19 PM »
anyone ever not finish / have to outline an entire essay question when it appeared that the rest of the section didn't have that much of a timecrunch and still turn out ok...???

I'll latch onto any success stories in ignorance until grades come out...

Okay, first semester contracts, there was a question that could be either a good or a service (princess cruises type question).  Anyway, I spotted the ambiguity and analyzed it under both.  As a result, the section only consisted of very abbreviated answers as I tried to work myself through.  Half of the class did not pick up on the discrepancy and ended up  with plenty of time left.  So, I finished later then everyone and wrote terrible answers but did well.

And Dr., a B+ is good at your school?