Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What to do when friends go crazy with exams?  (Read 2841 times)

Rockapotomus

• View Profile
    • Email
What to do when friends go crazy with exams?
« on: December 14, 2007, 02:39:41 PM »
3 exams done, 1 to go. Some of my friends in my law class are going CRAZY. The stress is so high, and they're freaking out during study sessions, often yelling at me and each other over case holdings and applications to practice exams. I want to just study on my own, but know that the group provides a needed perspective. I'm not quite sure how to handle dealing with people who bring so much negative energy that it may be detrimental to the study process? These people were cool throughout the year, but now they're turning into freak shows.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What to do when friends go crazy with exams?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 03:06:13 PM »
get a different study group.

redjay

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 03:39:33 PM »
Yeah, either get a different study group, or just don't use a study group at all. I stopped going to meeting after my first exam and I feel that I have become a lot less stressed and a lot more productive. There's one kid i've been friendly with all year, and now when he comes anywhere near me i start to stress out. Try to surround yourself with people who don't outwardly or obviously project that kind of vibe - its really contagious - especially right now at semester's end. However if you feel the need to meet with people - try calling up one of your friends and doing it one on one - I find this to be easier, more respectful, and a lot less stressful - even though you are sacrificing a couple other opinions...

However, as a disclaimer: I am just a silly 1L and this plan may not ACTUALLY be working for me. But i am having a much easier time getting through exams now that i have seperated myself from stressful people.

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 03:42:21 PM »
Are you NUTS? Avoid other law students like the plague.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 03:56:17 PM »
Ditto what jumbo said.  Stay away from other law students.  Study at home or a coffee shop, ANYWHERE but the library.  The panic is infectious, and spreads like the plague.  Do what you have to do - while you may need some outside perspective, I can guarantee you're not getting it from a bunch of panicked freak shows.  If you're friends with someone who seems relatively relaxed, maybe shoot him or her some questions via email or IM if you need some "perspective" on stuff.

USC313

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 03:57:07 PM »
F study groups. That's my motto. Seriously, if I don't understand something I don't know how a bunch of people struggling with the same material are going to help me out. I find studying alone and then referring to the professor--either in person or through e-mail--to be a much easier and productive solution. Study groups are like Wikipedia--you never really know if what your given is the true authority. Avoid them at all costs.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 04:41:15 PM »
I need a study group during practice exam time, even if only for a few hours.  However, I keep it small (one or two other people tops) and frequently make up reasons why I have to leave when I feel like it is getting unproductive.  Anyway, you can think you know it all till you get with a group, then you realize how much you missed.  Anyway, get a better group.

AndiiMarie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 05:05:10 PM »
I ditched my study group about 2 weeks before exams started and it was probably the best decision I've made in a long time.  I have been so much more relaxed and I've been able to study at my own pace without worrying about everyone else's schedules.  I think groups can be good for some things, but for me studying alone has been the way to go.

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 05:29:17 PM »
3 exams done, 1 to go. Some of my friends in my law class are going CRAZY. The stress is so high, and they're freaking out during study sessions, often yelling at me and each other over case holdings and applications to practice exams. I want to just study on my own, but know that the group provides a needed perspective. I'm not quite sure how to handle dealing with people who bring so much negative energy that it may be detrimental to the study process? These people were cool throughout the year, but now they're turning into freak shows.

This is a total flame post.

Is this that loser "Wallace Stevens" from the kiddie board? This sounds like some useless discussion that he would come up with.

Rockapotomus

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2007, 12:12:04 AM »

This is a total flame post.

Is this that loser "Wallace Stevens" from the kiddie board? This sounds like some useless discussion that he would come up with.

Nope, this is just me, going through a real situation. I made this post to be useful for me, if it's not useful for you then I'm glad you wasted your time responding.