Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: how to study  (Read 1082 times)

1Lchica

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
how to study
« on: December 12, 2007, 04:06:28 PM »
basically, what i'm doing is slowly reading through my outline and trying to let the concepts soak in and think of how they fit together, and also taking some practice exams. i'm meeting up with my study group to talk about the tests. does this sound like a good method? anyone else have any other advice to study? i'm shocked how long it's taking em to get through my outline though.

and how much should you look at it during the test? i feel like htere's no way i can memorize all this stuff.

and can i just say i suck at torts? :((

dawhizz

• AOL Instant Messenger - dawhizz
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: how to study
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 04:27:31 PM »
I'm also studying for my Torts final tomorrow and am doing pretty much the same thing (minus the study group, which isn't my bag). I don't find it quite so important to actually take the practice exams, as far as writing it out, as long as you are able to spot the issues. If it's open book/notes/etc, I recommend making some cheat sheets by topic (Business, Children, Employer/Employee, Medical, Guest of Premises, etc). I feel like a lot of Torts issues connect to a certain kind of situation, and so if I can identify the situation topic (like, say, an accident on someone else's property), I can run down my sheet and make sure I'm hitting all the relevant topics that usually come up in that situation. Might not work for you, but I thought I'd mention it.
LAWYER JOKE #7
What do you call a room full of lawyers?
A group of highly educated legal professionals.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=gflatt

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 04:33:57 PM »
i used the same method you did.  Really, all you can do to prepare is get really familiar with your outline and issue spotting for the subject, so I think you are doing all you can. 

mf22076

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 04:39:43 PM »
For torts we could bring one double sided cheat sheet.  I wrote out a boilerplate sentence for each tort so that I would have the first two sentences down and I could just type away.  That really helped me cruise on the essay section (which was the whole exam).  I made the same type of template for the defenses.  Just an idea.  Good luck.  Also teaching it outloud to someone or something always helps me.  I make my three year old daughter sit on the couch with her dolls and I lecture her on my classes basically reciting my outline.  She loves it and it helps me. 

ShakedownStreet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 02:08:23 AM »
For my torts test I memorized all the legal tests and policy reasons for the tests by writing them all over and over.  If you know the policy behind the doctrine, it makes spotting issues much easier.  This worked well for me on my torts midterm...so we shall see how the final turned out.