Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: suspecting a cheater  (Read 4051 times)

blackpowerman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
suspecting a cheater
« on: December 12, 2007, 12:34:32 AM »
hey guys, dont know about your law school but for some reason ours lets us come and go as we please during the exam.  There is this one kid in particular- very very arrogant thinks hes  hot shite and all that jazz.  thats ok, no harm there.  however, during the first exam he left 3 times and the more recent exam he left 6 times- this is all in a 3 hour span.  now, tell me, why else would u leave teh room 3,4,5 or 6 times?  of course there is probably no way of proving it, but does anyone have any experience with cheaters on the classroom- he could potentially fukc up the entire curve and screw EVERYONE- this kid doesnt care, he is the most selfish fukc ive ever come across.  tried to be his friend but it just didnt work out.  then again, he could have had a explosive diarreah...??

"The fox knows many tricks; the hedgehog one good one" - Archilochus

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: suspecting a cheater
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 12:41:29 AM »
I have personally left exams 5 or 6 times.  All of my exams are open book, so its not like you could cheat or anything really anyway.  I like to get up and stretch and go to the water fountain.  This kid may be cheating, but he may be like a lot of law school people with anxiety issues and just have to go to the bathroom a lot.

most likely he will not mess up the curve and will be significantly less arrogant as time passes and he gets his grades back.  So, dont stress it.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 12:50:22 AM »
people at my school really just dont cheat it seems like.  We have a strict honor code, great/friendly curve, and a high tuition, so noone risks getting kicked out to cheat.  If it is closed book, there is a significantly greater chance that he is probably cheating rather then just bored like when I leave.  However, straight up, you probably know the material as well as he does.  Also, the time he lost makes a huge difference in his ability to perform anyway.  So, even if he was cheating, it was a minimal benefit to him in the context of knowing more information then you guys and it took away his time.

you obviously cant say anything if you dont see it.  But, I wouldnt stress it.  People suck.  I hate to do that spiel but there are cheaters all throughout the legal profession and there are plenty of people that got where they are without earning it.  If he is willing to risk getting kicked out for a minimal benefit at that, more power to him, cause it is not worth the risk to me. 

jwaxjwax

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 03:20:19 AM »
He could be like the guy from Pearl Jam, who has the disorder that makes him have to go to the bathroom a lot.

But who has time to leave a timed exam 5 or 6 times? Seems to me like a disadvantage - having less time than everyone else.

McLovin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 04:37:46 AM »
He could be like the guy from Pearl Jam, who has the disorder that makes him have to go to the bathroom a lot.

But who has time to leave a timed exam 5 or 6 times? Seems to me like a disadvantage - having less time than everyone else.

...Unless he's cheating.

oscarsonthepond

• mmm....bOOYA!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 07:54:50 AM »
If he left 6 times I can guarantee he did not set the curve.  That's way too much wasted time.

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 08:22:04 AM »
I'm really not sure how effective cheating would be anyway. Most people can memorize the material without too much trouble so I doubt his cheating will screw up the curve. Although you do have to get the rules correct, issue spotting and analysis are really much more important. If someone sucks so bad they feel they need to cheat, they are probably focusing too much on getting the rules correct and not enough on applying the rules correctly.

drbuff123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 09:08:50 AM »
I have had to leave 2-3 times before because of Redbull's affects on my bladder, but 6 does seem rather excessive.

scoundrel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 09:36:09 AM »
I think the most I've ever had to go is 3 times. Stress makes me pi$$.

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 10:10:02 AM »
I wouldn't have gone to the dean "just to get his perspective" based on someone leaving the room a few times.  People have all sorts of stomach problems, drink a lot of caffeine drinks, need to walk around to think, need a cigarette, etc.  I would have no problem turning someone in if I KNEW they were cheating (and I've done that in undergrad), but going vigilante because someone left a few times when they are allowed to leave? 

Unless you were handing out bathroom passes, why were you monitoring him anyway?  Do your work and worry about yourself. 

It seems like you have no evidence other than you just don't like him, which is no reason to try and get him kicked out of school.