Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: suspecting a cheater  (Read 3955 times)

blackpowerman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: suspecting a cheater
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007, 05:52:58 PM »
no no- i wasn't "monitoring" him- he just sat in front of me so i could see every time he got up and went.  Its not that i dont like the kid, its just that he is all high and mighty and would do anything to get top grades-  i would too, but i would never cheat.  i didnt say he DID cheat, just seemed odd for someone to leave that many times during an exam- torts at that- to have not possibly been up to something.  noone is trying to get him kicked out of scvhool- only he can do that.  so if he WAS cheating, then he was trying to get himself kicked out. 
"The fox knows many tricks; the hedgehog one good one" - Archilochus

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2007, 06:04:06 PM »
Going to the dean still seems pretty baseless... The over-competitive people who have hyped up this guy's bathroom trips into some BS "getting the dean's perspective" are the reason everyone thinks law students are tools who will trample other people while clawing their way to the top.  If someone saw him cheating or heard him talking about it, fine.  But "he went to the potty five times" is a horrible reason.

I can't imagine people in my class going to the dean on that.  If they did, I'd be sure to let the frequent-bathroom-visitor who was in the mob that thought it was fun to take their pitchforks up to the dean's office... 

blackpowerman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2007, 02:34:01 AM »
yea, i guess since we can't prove anything theres no point...but i still have this gut feeling knowing him and all.  but who knows.  anyways, we'll see in a few weeks how things go.  thanks for the perspective. 
"The fox knows many tricks; the hedgehog one good one" - Archilochus

p0six

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2007, 08:46:40 AM »
Honestly, I don't even personally feel it's possible to cheat in an set-time scheduled essay-type exam.  Everyone uses the entire 3 hours.  Everyone is pretty much typing the entire damn time.  You'd have to be right up next to someone to not be slowed down by looking at their computer.  And the time you spend looking is precious time you're not barfing rules onto the paper.

Cheating only becomes an problem when the exam isn't a typing contest (i.e. multiple choice/short answer).

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2007, 10:16:48 AM »
Honestly, I don't even personally feel it's possible to cheat in an set-time scheduled essay-type exam.  Everyone uses the entire 3 hours.  Everyone is pretty much typing the entire d**mn time.  You'd have to be right up next to someone to not be slowed down by looking at their computer.  And the time you spend looking is precious time you're not barfing rules onto the paper.

Cheating only becomes an problem when the exam isn't a typing contest (i.e. multiple choice/short answer).

OP was suggesting that the person went out to the hallway to check up on the rules and stuff since their exam was closed book.  This is possible but pretty damn useless to do.

Dxion

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2007, 10:50:48 AM »
You went to The Citadel?

You gossip like a woman.

danboltonage22

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2007, 12:08:16 PM »
he probably was just going outside to smoke. 

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2007, 12:45:31 AM »
dxion, that was the funniest thing ive probably ever heard. 
anyways, i forgot to mention, yea all the tests had multiple choices- i dont think it would help on the essay, but the multiple choices is the thing i was worried about. 

im still laughing at that gossip line...yes, you are right...i should stop now.  sigh. 

and no he doesnt smoke. 

maybe coke?  it helps to stay up and they frown upon you doing it in class during exams anyway...

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2007, 03:45:16 PM »
If I were you, I'd call up the show "Cheaters" and set up a sting. Although, you want to make sure you look like a giant redneck when you confront him on camera.

You gotta do what you gotta do for ratings.

unlvcrjchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2007, 11:53:39 PM »
dxion, that was the funniest thing ive probably ever heard. 
anyways, i forgot to mention, yea all the tests had multiple choices- i dont think it would help on the essay, but the multiple choices is the thing i was worried about. 

im still laughing at that gossip line...yes, you are right...i should stop now.  sigh. 

and no he doesnt smoke. 

maybe coke?  it helps to stay up and they frown upon you doing it in class during exams anyway...

LOL, sorry but that just made me hysterical with laughter.   :D