Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hey how important is spotting ALL the issues?  (Read 2422 times)

Mina

• View Profile
Hey how important is spotting ALL the issues?
« on: December 11, 2007, 10:41:02 PM »
I just finished my crim. law final, only to realize I failed to adress an unsuccesful self-defense issue, it seemed to be minor, & would likely not averse the discussion very much, but it was very well hidden--& the only defense present, the call of the question asked for a defense! Have I just lost all my chances of an A?

jimmyjohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Hey how important is spotting ALL the issues?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 10:46:25 PM »
Yes.  You will probably get a C now. 

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 10:47:55 PM »
no, you still have a chance at an A- at least.  I didnt spot an issue on my exam today and the issue was something he clearly told us to address.  It happens.

Mina

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 11:46:14 PM »
Damn, are you sure about that C?--cuz it seemed like the clear separator! and now that I think about it, my analysis was sloppy, maybe even a D--amn this sucks real bad, I studied real hard for this test.... :(

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 12:45:53 AM »
d**mn, are you sure about that C?--cuz it seemed like the clear separator! and now that I think about it, my analysis was sloppy, maybe even a D--amn this sucks real bad, I studied real hard for this test.... :(

hey, we all make mistakes and forget things.  Very few people go in and spot every issue.  Even then, most people cannot fully address all of the issues.  So, dont stress it.  It is over now.  My friends and I have a pact.  We do not discuss what issues we spotted or what went on.  All that can come from it realizing that you made mistakes and everyone does.  Obviously, try not to miss anything on the next one, but you will regardless of how hard you try. 

Good luck on grades, I was in the same position when I realized I made mistakes, but it happens.

Mina

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 01:01:19 AM »
Thank you for trying to make me feel better mr. Thorc, I'm actually laughing about it now, after all that hard work, studying & 60 page outlines, & hypo practice, & conferences,& study groups: I'm going to get a C,-- when you really look at it, its ironic, & retrospectively amusing-- (p.s. I'm a 1L, so this why I ask about issue thingy)

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 01:08:33 AM »
hahaha, i try my best.  It is ironic.  But, I know the feeling way too well.  I spent 6 days studying for this one exam alone in addition to making three great outlines (normal and attack) only to miss an issue that was specifically asked for in the question itself so it wasnt even a spotting issue.  However, I feel confident that I will still do well.  Where is your curve set at? ours is a B+ so significantly less stress cause regardless I wont do worse then that.  Think of all the stupid people in your class.  All you can do is your best. 

jwaxjwax

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 03:14:21 AM »
Ahh, the C guy was probably kidding. Our curve is a B, and you could miss an issue and probably still get an A.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 07:15:33 AM »
I missed one complete cause of action on my crim exam as a 1L, a relatively minor one, and I'm sure there were more than that I missed.  I still got an A, so don't sweat it.

oscarsonthepond

• mmm....bOOYA!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 07:52:04 AM »
Nobody hits all the issues, and if they do then they aren't covering them all in depth.  Ask any professor and even they won't get all of them when making their key - they have to add more once they find ones that students are pointing out.  I missed a rule against perpetuities issue in property and still did very well.  After my civ pro final, I talked to a friend who said he'd found the hidden Erie problem in the exam - after a month or two of worrying about it, grades came out and I did very well.  I talked to the professor and he said there wasn't an Erie problem.