Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Done finals, freaking out  (Read 3093 times)

reggiebush

• View Profile
Re: Done finals, freaking out
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007, 03:28:13 PM »

Might want to start packing your bags. That is a ridiculous standard for yourself as a 1L, and the chances of attaining it aren't good. Not to be a prick, but are you serious?

Very serious!

dividebyzero

• Sr. Citizen
  • Motherf*ckin' Snakes On A Plane!
    • MSN Messenger - daedelus_rex@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2007, 05:53:38 PM »
Drink to block it out- I had nightmares the night after every final last year, and all it does is give you ulcers and bad sleep. Try to go for a run or hang out with non-law school friends. And know that the fear will go away after a couple weeks.

I had a rough time with my most recent (and first) examn, but I can't imagine being so stressed about the exam *afterwards* that I'd have ulcer and nightmares  ???.

Did the night before, though. Thank heavens for Ambien.  :-\
"Remove the chain, cause' that's off it!"

Acceptances: Georgetown ("off da' chain!")
That is all...

blackpowerman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2007, 05:54:26 PM »
hey reggie- news flash- you only have a 20 percent chance at being top 20 percent.  i would wait until a full year- many people do terrible first exams- its like a crapshoot- then adjust and know how to perform.  i couldnt see dropping out other than just not wanting to do it. 
"The fox knows many tricks; the hedgehog one good one" - Archilochus

TheNewGuy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2007, 12:20:30 PM »
*GENERALLY*, say you got a D or a C in a class...

would a law school let you take it again and then take the 2nd grade?

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2007, 12:42:09 PM »
*GENERALLY*, say you got a D or a C in a class...

would a law school let you take it again and then take the 2nd grade?

i doubt it, i wouldnt think it would be fair. 

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2007, 12:48:00 PM »
A D maybe, especially if you need a minimum grade in certain required courses.  I don't think they'd let you jsut take the higher grade though; you'd probably have both on your transcript (although this would depend entirely on school policy).

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2007, 01:05:59 PM »
I would guess that re-takes in law school are a no-no ... I know our whole university generally allows for "grade replacement" (i.e. taking a class again), but I'm not sure if that bleeds into the law school.

Will they really give a D?  I mean, don't law professors give the "gentleman's C" since it's the bottom of the curve anyway? :)  (At least here we have a B curve)

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2007, 01:08:34 PM »
I would guess that re-takes in law school are a no-no ... I know our whole university generally allows for "grade replacement" (i.e. taking a class again), but I'm not sure if that bleeds into the law school.

Will they really give a D?  I mean, don't law professors give the "gentleman's C" since it's the bottom of the curve anyway? :)  (At least here we have a B curve)

my school wont give below a c and generally no lower then a c+, but some schools (TTTT) have terrible curves and dont mind giving D's and F's.

brightline

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2007, 05:09:08 PM »
At my 1L school (I transferred), a tier 2, any student who earned less than a C was required to retake. The curve wasn't as bad as some low ranked schools but was still bad enough that about 1/3 of the 1ls each year ended up retaking at least one class.

TheNewGuy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2007, 05:57:25 PM »
...I would seriously consider withdrawing if say, I was in the 50% rank.

How do we know grades before the Spring semester? It's like they try to take your money for the second semester when we don't even know how we performed this semester..... >:(

I'm kind of telling myself the same thing.  I'd like to think that if any law student set his/her mind to it, getting in the top half of the class isn't too hard to do...  yes, ok I realized the odds are 50/50 - but you're in complete control of how hard you work.

What do I know though? Just a 1L --- I didn't finish a couple exams... if I'm around the median, fine, I'll tell myself "I can be more disciplined and make adjustments."  If I really F'd up, then, yeah I'll want to know about it before paying for another semester.  Paying a ton of money to get mediocre grades is not a good thing, right?