Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: EA and T3  (Read 2119 times)

sheriff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
EA and T3
« on: December 08, 2007, 11:44:47 PM »
Since this forum has been very "quiet"  :-X recently, here are my questions: ???

1) which schools have an Early Admission program? (other than GULC and WUSL) 

2) what are the (realistic) chances to transfer from a T3 to a T14 with a 150ish LSAT? :-\

Thanks and good luck with your finals!!! ;)
The George Washington University Class of 2010.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: EA and T3
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 11:55:44 PM »
Since this forum has been very "quiet"  :-X recently, here are my questions: ???

1) which schools have an Early Admission program? (other than GULC and WUSL) 

2) what are the (realistic) chances to transfer from a T3 to a T14 with a 150ish LSAT? :-\

Thanks and good luck with your finals!!! ;)

1. something in another threat about that, all i remember is those 2, but I think there was a cali school?  not sure, but those were the only decent ones i remembered seeing

2. your chances are zero percent without a gpa.  :)  so, umm... go study for finals :)  I am not helpful, i know, and i appologize, but i am avoiding studying for finals.  Try your best to get good grades, but dont worry about transferring till after.  Some options will be off limits to you (yale: with their policy of only hiring people that could get in, which they really dont follow), but many arent closed off if you do well.  however, law school grades are a crap shoot, so just hope that when you professor tosses your exams yours lands at the bottom of the stairs.  thats how i got my A's. 

DH52

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 10:50:13 AM »
Two comments: 1. Even at schools without early action programs, applying early increases your chances.  2.  LSAT score generally have nothing to do with your chances for being accepted as a transfer student--in the same way your personal statement and recommendations generally have little to do with getting into law school as a 1L.  All that really counts is your GPA/Class Rank and the school you are coming from.   

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 12:07:00 PM »
Two comments: 1. Even at schools without early action programs, applying early increases your chances.  2.  LSAT score generally have nothing to do with your chances for being accepted as a transfer student--in the same way your personal statement and recommendations generally have little to do with getting into law school as a 1L.  All that really counts is your GPA/Class Rank and the school you are coming from.   

I disagree.  I think LSAT still matters, especially in the T14, but certainly less so then what school you transfer from and your class rank there. 

brightline

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 01:14:45 PM »
Thorc,

I have to say you're wrong.

Of the three students (including me) who transferred from my 1L tier 2 to a couple different T14s, LSAT was not a factor. It all came down to class rank at the 1L school. The student who made it to the higher ranked T14 had LSAT scores that averaged out to below 150. My LSAT was around the median for a typical tier 2 and that didn't keep me out . None of us were URMs or went to especially great undergrad schools either...we all went to mediocre to no-name state colleges. Additionally, there are several students at my new T14 from tier 3 and even tier 4 schools. A couple students even came from newly accredited law schools.

Again, to the OP, it all comes down class rank and the grades you get during your first year. The lower your school, the higher you need to rank in your class. It's that simple. Check the databases in the transferapps yahoo group and you'll see what I mean.

As for WUSTL, I wouldn't put too much stock in their transfer EA transfer process anymore. As of last year, hardly anyone got in EA, and the school requested second semester transcripts from everyone before making the bulk of their decisions. Search the transferapps group for info on this. Plenty of people got in EA to GULC though, judging by posts on the yahoogroup, and some who were deferred ended up getting in later.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transferapps/

I disagree.  I think LSAT still matters, especially in the T14, but certainly less so then what school you transfer from and your class rank there. 

brightline

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 01:23:30 PM »
Two other schools that used to have EA transfer policies were Denver and Case Western. Depending on a lot of personal factors, it may or may not be worth it to look at those schools for transferring.

In my personal opinion, any school not in the top 25 is not worth transferring to because you are unlikely to increase your job options in most cases. Major exceptions would be if you want to transfer to a state school back home to get a break on tuition, or if you have extenuating personal circumstances that necessitate moving to a certain location.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 01:45:03 PM »
I think LSAT only matters for Harvard, Yale and Standford.  These schools seem to restrict transfer applicants to students would could have been admitted the first time around, including LSAT scores.  I'm sure there may be exceptions even there, however.