Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: S A got goodies  (Read 7744 times)

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: S A got goodies
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2007, 10:49:24 PM »
anyone invited to the christmas party?  I heard one or two of my friends were, I think howrey's, but wasnt sure if this was unusual or not...

I got invited... and attended.  It was for a branch office.
2L

lawmama09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2007, 04:36:04 PM »
I was invited to the holiday party, but I couldn't go due to finals. This is for a smaller local office of a large firm if that matters.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2007, 04:37:24 PM »
I was invited but also could not attend due to finals.  Any benefit to going?

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2007, 05:27:40 PM »
I was invited but also could not attend due to finals.  Any benefit to going?

Nah.  It was nice to do a round of meet and greet, and the meal was fabulous, but I spent most of my time talking to people I already knew (my recruiters and a few of recent grads from my school).  If anything, it might make me feel a bit more comfortable during the first week of work, but I dont think you really missed out on anything.
2L

BluebookKing

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2007, 09:09:53 PM »
I received a book and a bag w/ the firm's logo.  I was also invited to the firm ofice x-mas party but I could not attend due to finals.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2007, 12:08:13 AM »
I received a book and a bag w/ the firm's logo.  I was also invited to the firm ofice x-mas party but I could not attend due to finals.

wow, my firm must hate me :( anyone wanna have a christmas party and invite me and/or send me gifts? 

i think it would have been nice to attend and get to know everyone, I guess they have to leave something to look forward to though.

BluebookKing

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2007, 02:39:30 AM »
I think it would have been awkward being at the x-mas party.  The majority of the people I met were older partners.  I wouldn't want to be socializing with them all night at a x-mas party.  Based on my experiences at office x-mas party, it's not the best place to meet your co-workers, since it's generally one of the few times for them to let loose and get trashed.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2007, 08:08:42 AM »
I think it would have been awkward being at the x-mas party.  The majority of the people I met were older partners.  I wouldn't want to be socializing with them all night at a x-mas party.  Based on my experiences at office x-mas party, it's not the best place to meet your co-workers, since it's generally one of the few times for them to let loose and get trashed.

I second this.  I went last year as a 2L, and it was ok, but "awkward" is the best word for it.  If it was just a party where you don't know anyone, that's one thing.  But I think there's the inescapable pressure of thinking about the fact that these people will decide whether you get an offer, etc. etc.  It's a little irrational, since they may not really remember you anyway (unless you're the person that gets trashed and throws up outside), but I felt like that nonetheless.

I did go again to the party this year, and it was a blast.

Lojack

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2008, 08:53:19 PM »
I just think that going to firm parties before you have starting working can be a little dangerous, first thing is you really do not know anyone yet and as a result meeting them in a social enviroment with liquour involved might not be the best thing, I think it is a preasure that you should just avoid, once you get there enjoy the social evenings and events.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2008, 11:41:16 PM »
I just think that going to firm parties before you have starting working can be a little dangerous, first thing is you really do not know anyone yet and as a result meeting them in a social enviroment with liquour involved might not be the best thing, I think it is a preasure that you should just avoid, once you get there enjoy the social evenings and events.

If you can't control your alcohol intake during one social event, then perhaps you should seek some kind of treatment...