Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Civ Pro issue-spotting tips  (Read 2807 times)

redjay

• View Profile
Civ Pro issue-spotting tips
« on: December 07, 2007, 10:49:22 AM »
the hardest part of the old tests ive been given for civ pro seems to be spotting the issues, for everyone i know, my teacher is a bit tricky - of course taking the exams will help me, but when you study the material as you go, its easier to spot the issues because you know what you were studying...anyway does anyone have some tips for spotting civil procedure issues? It seems like a stupid question, I know...

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Civ Pro issue-spotting tips
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 11:06:47 AM »
the hardest part of the old tests ive been given for civ pro seems to be spotting the issues, for everyone i know, my teacher is a bit tricky - of course taking the exams will help me, but when you study the material as you go, its easier to spot the issues because you know what you were studying...anyway does anyone have some tips for spotting civil procedure issues? It seems like a stupid question, I know...

make a really quick check list, maybe just the headings from the sections on your outline.  Then, after reading the exam, quickly glance down the list of headings and pick out the ones that were mentioned in your fact pattern.  This helps make sure you didnt miss anything. 

My civ pro one exam involve pretty much every issue discussed, i think it just walked right through personal jurisdiction, subject matter jurisdiction, venue, etc.  However, I have found that the little checklist has been helpful for many of my exams. 

As you practice, you will figure out how to randomly just pick the issues up, but it never hurts to glance at that sheet anyway, cause occasionally they throw curve balls on the exams.