Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 0L - Suggested pre-study ?  (Read 5057 times)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: 0L - Suggested pre-study ?
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2007, 08:16:21 AM »
Economic theory in torts is pretty straightforward - you can understand it without taking econ classes.

As for econ theory in any other class (at least 1L stuff)?  Depends entirely on the professor.  We spent one day on the coase theorem in contracts, which I believe is pretty straight econ theory.  Other sections did no straight econ theory at all.  I'm sure at some schools, w/ some professors, there are more.

Bottom line, if you're interested in economics, then take a couple classes.  But don't take them because you think they'll help you do better in law school.  You may never really use it, and what you need to know, you can learn it as you need it.

dividebyzero

• Sr. Citizen
  • Motherf*ckin' Snakes On A Plane!
    • MSN Messenger - daedelus_rex@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2007, 06:15:35 PM »
Take an economics class. It will help you with contracts.

Go to the local court house and watch a few cases.

dont take economics.  its stupid and outside of U Mich or George Mason, its probably pointless to have any background.  

I, unfortunately, have to second the Coase, Calabressi and Malamed suggestions, and I'm going to go ahead and throw in Posner.

Our Property prof was big into Law and Economics, so the Econ majors pretty much raped everybody when it came to understanding things like "Pareto-optimality".

On the other hand, I did a bit of 0L prep for my courses, and two things happened. They may not happen to you, but:

1) I realized that I would have no idea who my professors would be.
2) Not knowing who my professors would be in advance, by the time I did find out, it was too late to get a leg up in the form of a prior student's outline or even a copy of a syllabus.

Which lead to 3) Almost all of the 0L prep materials I bought for Property course (and to a lesser extent Civ Pro and Con Law) was useless because the professor had his own particular way of teaching the concepts of property law; we didn't even cover adverse possession!

So, your mileage will definately vary.

You're stupid, except for your advice about having lots of sex with undergrad girls.  Coase and Calabresi provide the foundation for the modern systems of torts, property, contracts, criminal, and tax law.  Your understanding would be much more complete if you came in knowing the basic economic concepts of Pareto/Kaldor-Hicksian efficiency, Edgeworth box, NPV, deadweight loss, and the such.

"Remove the chain, cause' that's off it!"

Acceptances: Georgetown ("off da' chain!")
That is all...

AssaultAndBattery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2007, 04:57:14 PM »
Two questions: Did anyone read/study content before starting as a 1L (assuming not coming from a pre-law undergrad)? Along those lines, is there content I can put onto my video iPod to watch while working out?

I don't want to buy the textbooks and read them, but I'd like to review some of the content (like course outlines) so that way I walk into class already knowledgeable about some of the stuff I need to know so that it'll be a little easier to take it all in then.  Perhaps listening to podcasts while I work out or have a book like one of the Kaplan 1L study guides.

What did you use and what did you find useful?

Just Stop. Listen to me. I was like you months ago, believing I would get a head start on this law school game. I read everything that was suggested pre 1L reading material, Law school confidential, planet law school, law school for dummies, you name it, I read it. I dished out money for a pre-1L course as well.

I should have spent those precious weeks and months getting completely smashed and drunk to the point that I thought I was going to medical school instead.

No matter what you do before lawschool, you will not know what you are in for until you experience the first rounds of finals. This coming from me, a 1L who will be done with his last final in 4 hours.

I am not trying to scare you but instead just trying to provide you with friendly advice, enjoy your days before law school starts. GOODLUCK

oscarsonthepond

• mmm....bOOYA!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2007, 02:27:30 AM »
The absolute best thing you can do to prepare for law school (BY FAR) is download a free typing program and learn how to type *really* fast.

TheReasonableMan

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2007, 03:12:23 PM »
To the OP.  Listen to what everyone is saying about pre-studying for 1L.  It won't help you and you're wasting precious free time doing it. That being said, if you want to get your brain ready for what is to come, and you truly don't want to just kick back for the summer and enjoy reading books that you enjoy, I have an idea for you that I tried out last summer.  Go pick up something that you ordinarily would not read and that is somewhat of a dry read (for me it was history books).  Each day, set yourself a goal of reading a certain number of pages, and just hold yourself to a standard of comprehension.  If you get done with a section and don't remember what you just read, go back and read it again.  For me, having been out of school for a few years, it helped to train my brain back into study mode and get used to reading stuff that isn't always fun and exciting.  But yeah, stay away from the law until you get there...

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2007, 10:38:08 PM »
Watch "Thank You For Smoking." It's got a good example about directing discussions and refocusing arguments. And it's funny.

Watch "Legally Blonde" because it's funny and it's got Reese.

Otherwise, enjoy yourself.

blackpowerman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2008, 09:56:49 PM »
have lots of sex with as many girls as you can.  dont get involved in a relationship, because then the only thing you will have to look forward to (random sex with hot sorority whores) will be gone.  steady sex is one thing, but hot random sex with different girls gives you something to wake up for.  trust me.  ive been dating the same girl since the second week of school (dont ask me how) and i failed to notice all the other hot ass streaming around ...
"The fox knows many tricks; the hedgehog one good one" - Archilochus