Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 0L - Suggested pre-study ?  (Read 5009 times)

craven

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 0L - Suggested pre-study ?
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2007, 07:26:52 PM »
Find a good looking suit.  Watch Boston Legal.  Enjoy your dating prospects as an undergrad.

contrarian

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2007, 07:54:38 PM »
I should probably have mentioned I'm an unemployed non-trad. I suppose finding another one of the well paying jobs that I was employed in a few months ago so that I can quit on them in six months is what I should be doing. 

I bought an original print of The Paper Chase movie poster off of e-bay to replace the current one I have of Sneakers.  Does that count?

I don't wear suits.  Will this affect my law career? I hope not.

I stopped watching law dramas when the retard on LA Law was the villain in Darkman and they took Night Court off the air.

I suppose I'll be sick of the *&^% soon enough.  No reason to be sick of it before I start.  I like the idea of reading up on the justices though, and various cases.

eli250

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2007, 08:00:29 PM »
I read the Torts and Civ Pro E&E before school started and think it definitely helped me understand things as they came up during class, but by the time finals came around I don't know if it made that much of a difference.

craven

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2007, 09:02:53 PM »
If you never wear suits, it will undoubtedly affect your legal career.  For one, you will never be respected by a judge if you set foot in a courtroom without a suit on.  The law is progressive in many ways, but tailoring is not one of them.

jwaxjwax

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2007, 12:54:31 AM »
Ahh yeah, you've got to get a suit for job interviews, work meetings, court appearances, even mock trial appearances. You'll have to suck that one up.

As to the original post, please don't read a bunch of law stuff in advance. If you have no poly-sci background, then maybe some basic materials on how our government and court system work. But don't read a bunch of torts cases or try to memorize contracts rules way in advance.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2007, 02:05:33 AM »
Take an economics class. It will help you with contracts.

Go to the local court house and watch a few cases.
Vanderbilt 2010

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2007, 02:06:29 AM »
Go to the local law school and hand out bagged lunches. The poor law students will be grateful.
Vanderbilt 2010

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2007, 10:41:06 AM »
Take an economics class. It will help you with contracts.

Go to the local court house and watch a few cases.

dont take economics.  its stupid and outside of U Mich or George Mason, its probably pointless to have any background. 

Take dance or ceramics or something with a lot of undergrad girls and enjoy having a sex life before you are completely surrounded by ugly law school people. 

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2007, 10:42:03 PM »
At the risk of sounding gunnerish...

I read my civpro casebook the summer before school started- It was actually really nice to be aware of certain concepts before they came up.

But I am one of those weird types who actually enjoys reading casebooks, so YMMV
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2007, 04:44:26 AM »
you are stupider :) ohh!  i mean, it might have some relevance, but torts covers the economic theory as related to torts and I never some economics surface with respect to K's, crim, property, etc.  It may come out in tax, not sure yet, but anyway, the OP shouldn't run out and take economic classes to prep for law school.