Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 0L - Suggested pre-study ?  (Read 5023 times)

contrarian

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
0L - Suggested pre-study ?
« on: December 02, 2007, 11:41:32 AM »
Two questions: Did anyone read/study content before starting as a 1L (assuming not coming from a pre-law undergrad)? Along those lines, is there content I can put onto my video iPod to watch while working out?

I don't want to buy the textbooks and read them, but I'd like to review some of the content (like course outlines) so that way I walk into class already knowledgeable about some of the stuff I need to know so that it'll be a little easier to take it all in then.  Perhaps listening to podcasts while I work out or have a book like one of the Kaplan 1L study guides.

What did you use and what did you find useful?

Peaches

• View Profile
Re: 0L - Suggested pre-study ?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 11:54:53 AM »
Chirelstein on Contracts (very readable).
Getting to Maybe on writing exams.

jimmyjohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 12:05:50 PM »
Please don't do any of this.  You are a feminine hygiene product for even thinking about it right now. 

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 01:46:24 PM »
don't bother, relax.  You'll be plenty sick of law school without any pre-study.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 02:59:32 PM »
I read lots of stuff b/c I bought into the psycho crazies on the pre-law boards. None of it was anywhere near useful. I promise you, there is not a massive conspiracy against pre-law people by law students. We really learned, very quickly, that nothing you do "in preparation" for law school makes a lick of difference. Your professors will focus on certain things that are important to them that you simply have no way of knowing about until you set foot in their classroom.

My advice for prepping? If you want to prep, read a lot of books. Any topic will do. If you're just curious about what you would learn in 1L, read Law 101. But just read a lot. Read biographies about lawyers or major legal cases if you want to.  I think it also helps to read the newspaper. You'll learn about current criminal and civil court cases and get a feel for different types of crimes and civil wrongs.

Other advice for prepping? Figure out why you want that law degree. So many students come here not knowing WHY they are here. Take some time to research careers in law, and do some cold calling around to lawyers in your area for informational interviews. They can give you advice about law school, the working world, the areas of law you might want to work in, etc. You can also research firms or organizations you might want to intern with. What are their req's for 1L and 2L associates? When can you apply? How can you work on developing contacts. Develop a spreadsheet. When school starts, you will have no free time to do this and you will be a better position than many of your peers to send out resumes after Dec finals.

If you're still in college, join the trial team or pre-law society. You may get to network with some lawyers. If you have some time to work, get a part time job at a law firm.

That's my prepping advice. It is less to do with being in the classroom and more looking toward the big picture of why you are committing to law school for 3 years.

Good luck!
Vanderbilt 2010

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 03:44:49 PM »
I didnt prepare at all, and I was so incredibly happy I didnt waste my time.  I would suggest reading brief bios of the supreme court justices though.  Look them up on wikipedia and just know their names and political parties.  I had a quiz in LRW (legal writing) and didnt know more then like two justices, and I looked like an ass. 

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 03:31:35 PM »
If I were you I'd start by watching episodes of "The Pick-up Artist" from VH1. This will prepare you for picking up chicks at the socials and bar reviews. Go ahead and pick out a good avatar too.

Next, make sure you watch plenty of Law & Order episodes. Make sure you pick up on all the intracacies. Those are totally acurate, and always show what its really like to be a lawyer. (Boston Legal works too if you can't find a Law & Order episode on the 2 or three hours a day that no L&O episodes are on TNT, TBS, USA or FX)

Finally, watch the Paper Chase and Legally Blonde once a day until law school starts. They should adequately prepare you for law school thought and discussion.

Prepare, prepare, prepare.

Oh yeah...I almost forgot...make sure you have plenty of suits to wear. You don't want to look like a complete idiot and only wear business casual to school. (except for Friday classes of course)

Good luck!

blackpowerman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 04:38:44 PM »
jomama

hahahhahahahahahbuwahawhahaha h

you forgot to tell him to update his facebook/myspace account every 5 minutes...every good law student does this.

hahah and don't forget to watch JAG and my cousin vinny . . .
"The fox knows many tricks; the hedgehog one good one" - Archilochus

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 05:15:26 PM »
I bought lots of suits for law school.... definitely a waste, but I would suggest having a good black one (for moot court, mock trial, adr, firm receptions, etc) and a blue or gray one ready for interviews.

And Jomama, he is better off watching Judge Judy.

McLovin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2007, 05:51:35 PM »
Two questions: Did anyone read/study content before starting as a 1L (assuming not coming from a pre-law undergrad)? Along those lines, is there content I can put onto my video iPod to watch while working out?

I don't want to buy the textbooks and read them, but I'd like to review some of the content (like course outlines) so that way I walk into class already knowledgeable about some of the stuff I need to know so that it'll be a little easier to take it all in then.  Perhaps listening to podcasts while I work out or have a book like one of the Kaplan 1L study guides.

What did you use and what did you find useful?

Enjoy the rest of college.  Please.