Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is Dec. 1st critical?  (Read 4881 times)

conrad42

• Ceci n'est pas une law student.
    • View Profile
Is Dec. 1st critical?
« on: November 29, 2007, 05:38:21 PM »
Do I need to deal with sending resumes this weekend, or can I put it off until after exams, which end in mid December? Do the two weeks really matter?

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Is Dec. 1st critical?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 05:45:29 PM »
Do I need to deal with sending resumes this weekend, or can I put it off until after exams, which end in mid December? Do the two weeks really matter?

no they dont matter too much.  the only way it could possibly be of concern is if you intend to work over the summer in your home town, in which case it is beneficially to get applications out asap so they can interview you over christmas break.  other then that, there really is no rush. take your time to prep for finals and worry about that asap when you finish. 

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 09:00:53 AM »
How is everyone doing on the 1L job search so far?

STLGirlAtHeart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 09:52:27 PM »
Sent out 70 resumes/cover letters on Dec. 1st. So far one flat out rejection (They didn't even wait for grades. Ouch.) and one invitation to a 1L holiday reception, which I take as not a bad sign, at least.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 10:05:28 PM »
Sent out 70 resumes/cover letters on Dec. 1st. So far one flat out rejection (They didn't even wait for grades. Ouch.) and one invitation to a 1L holiday reception, which I take as not a bad sign, at least.

dont read into the holiday reception, almost everyone is invited.  dont feel bad about one rejection :)  i got around 200 rejections my first year.

STLGirlAtHeart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 10:12:17 PM »
Yeah, I figured the reception wasn't really that big a deal. I was just pleased that it wasn't a rejection. I'm fully expecting that this was the first of many, many depressing rejection letters. I'm hoping for a few interviews, though. If nothing else, I'll develop a pretty thick skin, right?

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 10:43:14 PM »
Is it worth it to send out resumes now when we don't even have grades until mid-Jan? It seems to be creating double work for the hiring managers.

Just curious. I'm drawing from personal experience. Back in my former life when I was hiring subordinates, I didn't like hearing from them a second time when I ignored their resume the first time.

What's the protocol? 
Vanderbilt 2010

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 10:49:19 PM »
its hit or miss, some places wont care.  I sent out most of mine early then updated with grades and a re-expression of my interest.  Some places start hiring soon and it could be around 4 or 5 weeks till grades come out.  Id say if you want to work at hope, its critical to get them out now.  The sooner the better, but if you think your grades will be decent, it may be worthwhile to apply later. 

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 10:52:39 PM »
oh, just some advice, go to all the receptions you can.  in oci next year when you have to make up a reason why you liked the firm you are interviewing for, it helps to be like umm... i met the attorneys at the party and they were great.  I also talked about attending the reception on my cover letters and it got me plenty of interviews i think.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007, 12:05:12 AM »
Thanks. I've got my "list" and my resume together... I just need to draft letters, which I was planning to do either right after exams end next week or once grades come out... I wasn't planning to look at any firms in my home state, but I am starting to think I should. I don't want to practice in FL, but I do want to get legal experience this summer. Any job I can get this summer will be a stepping stone to the next, right?
Vanderbilt 2010