Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: rant, depressed  (Read 5196 times)

blackpowerman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: rant, depressed
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2007, 02:43:06 AM »
aren't two menacing fists deadly force?  anyways, to the miami question, howd u guess? 
"The fox knows many tricks; the hedgehog one good one" - Archilochus

1Lchica

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2007, 06:42:53 AM »
Once again,t hank you for the response -- but now I'm really starting to flip out.

My first exam is FRIDAY, and while that outline is done (just need to update it with the things we did in the past few days), I have another on Monday and then the last one on Thursday.

I'm freaking out because the outlines for my Monday and Thursday ones are not done. I wanted at least two full days to just read my outline/do practice questions for each test, but I'm extremely afraid this isn't going to happen. For example, if I stop outlining after today, and used Weds and Thurs to just study for my Friday test, I'll have to finish outlining for my next test on one of those two days before it (granted I don't finish the last two today - which is unlikely since it takes me SERIOUSLY FOREVER to outline - I go through my notes/reading notes and really try to see how it fits together). The other two I am working on are a little more than halfway done. :(

Meanwhile, I hear all these other people talking about how theirs are done, and it makes me want to scream. Will this necessarily give them a leg up on me? Grrrrrr!!! Why didn't I do more in the middle of the semester? Daggonit! I did start all my outlines at that point, and I thought I had a lot more done, but once again, it takes me sooo long to outline!

I totally feel like I'm cramming, and I can't believe I'm cramming in law school.

Advice? encouragement?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2007, 08:20:31 AM »
You need to get some outlines from a 2L or 3L that did well in the class, and you need to start working off of them.  Take what they used, and instead of going through and typing it all yourself, just compare, add and delete for the second half of the outline.

Your outlining seems to be taking far too long, but its not the end of the world.  You MUST be flexible though and change something up NOW while you still have a little bit of time.

And, of course, remember this for next semester, and outline the classes as you go starting a few weeks in.

You'll be ok, just keep your wits about you, and remember that no matter how stressed you are or how much more you feel you should do, get a good night's sleep the night before your exam!

Good luck.

GA-fan

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2007, 08:20:38 AM »
You will get much faster at making outlines after 1L. Really just make sure that if it's closed book that you have memorized the tests, can spit them out, and then apply your facts to the rules- if it's open book, just be sure your outline is tabbed and conclusive, and you're familiar enough with the concepts to find a rule quickly and copy it onto your exam- this will actually save you a lot of time to have the rules in sentence format and to copy them verbatim from your outline (plus it gives your mind a few seconds to rest). Hey, it'll all be over soon- at least that's what I keep telling myself- I have one tomorrow then I'm done. You don't study as much 2L, but I've found my fear that I bombed each and every exam hasn't really gone away- I think that's just what law school does to you  :(

vaplaugh

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2007, 09:33:40 AM »
I'd agree the outline is less important if your test is closed book.  All mine were closed.  I somewhat regret making outlines because after I made the outlines I had to make PowerPoint presentations just to memorize all the rules (trust me, a lot quicker than making flash cards).

It was helpful, though, to create an additional 1-2 page outline for each class that highlighted just the major topics, so I could have a checklist memorized for every fact pattern.

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2007, 10:16:48 AM »
Also, keep in mind that just because your classmates are done with their outlines doesnt mean that they understand or know the material better than you.

I remember having the same kind of mini panic attacks before finals last year because all of my classmates were done with their outlines before me.  Then I figured out that a lot of them made the outline, but didnt fully understand the content.  I was making it a point to understand everything as I created the outline, so it took me much longer.  But by the time I was done, I was essentially done studying. 

I guess my point is - dont worry about what your classmates are doing. Do what works for you.

And everyone feels like they are cramming.  Here I am, in year 2, still beating myself up for not being more efficient two weeks ago. 
2L

1Lchica

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2007, 10:44:28 AM »
Yeah, that's the way I do it too -- I'm not just copying and pasting from one file to another. I actually print out all my notes and go through them, highlighting, looking in the book, etc. Siiiigh. I dunno. This is just depressing. I'm just going to try to do my best. Now that I'm trying to hurry, I feel like I'm not getting as much out of it.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2007, 01:01:31 PM »
Yeah, that's the way I do it too -- I'm not just copying and pasting from one file to another. I actually print out all my notes and go through them, highlighting, looking in the book, etc. Siiiigh. I dunno. This is just depressing. I'm just going to try to do my best. Now that I'm trying to hurry, I feel like I'm not getting as much out of it.

take your time, you will do fine, and you still have plenty of time.  Worst case, if you end up failing out, you can always marry a lawyer ( I am halfway there as of 30 minutes ago)