Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1Ls - How much to study?  (Read 1595 times)

conrad42

• Ceci n'est pas une law student.
    • View Profile
1Ls - How much to study?
« on: November 26, 2007, 01:21:34 PM »
I know that the idea is to do better than your peers. But, is there any way to guage how you're doing relative to your peers, or do you just need to go balls out with studying?

drbuff123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1Ls - How much to study?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 04:20:04 PM »
quality of study > quantity of study

You can really only do so much, natural ability is going to take over at some point.

ShakedownStreet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 02:02:20 AM »
quality of study > quantity of study

You can really only do so much, natural ability is going to take over at some point.

agreed.  you need to study to the point that you feel comfortable with the material.  if you try to study more than everyone else, you will never be able to (there are some crazies in law school that will stop at nothing to get the top grades)

in my opinion, there is no way to gauge how you are doing compared to others until you get your grades.  some students who seem like they have everything under control during class, may bomb the exam.  like drbuff said you can only do what you can do, and from there hope that what you write in your exam is what the prof. is looking for. 

Good luck on your exams!

blackpowerman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 02:20:30 AM »
im a 1l and im constantly stressed about exams- every day that goes by i swear i haven't studied enough.  even if ive studied all day- so guess what, i dont study all day.  i study until i feel ive learned something to memory.  Here's the deal, sure, there are a$$holes in the library 24 hours a day, but be real- they are on messanger, watching movies, facebooking, talking and BSing with everyone so its not like they are actually studying.  first semester seems like a crapshoot.  i will treat it as such.  I know so much now about how to prepare, etc so that next semester i should be fine. but so will everyone else.  Anyways, i believe the natural ability will come in to play big time and you can only do what you can do. 
as a famous sailor once said
"I yam what i yam"

"The fox knows many tricks; the hedgehog one good one" - Archilochus