Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Want to get Job Out of State Need Advice  (Read 3555 times)

mcleod13

• View Profile
    • Email
Want to get Job Out of State Need Advice
« on: November 22, 2007, 10:27:31 AM »
I am a 2L at SIU and DO NOT, want to live around here when I am done. I want to go to FL or TX. I have a job now until I graduate clerking for the judges of the County Courthouse. I am planningto go travel this summer and try and clerk for a SA or PD for credit so I don't have to take any courses.....

Is this a good idea to get my name out there, get some experience, and possibly get the hell out of dodge.

mcleod13

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Want to get Job Out of State Need Advice
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 10:14:37 AM »
Am I the only person and a lower tiered school that wants to go somewhere else.

Gwar301

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 10:38:52 AM »
Maybe you could clerk for a federal judge in the state you are most interested in living in? You can get credit for that, since many or most of those positions are unpaid.

Plus, since it's a federal judge, there might be more appeal for out-of-state employers.

Alternately, you might be able to apply for the Illinois Attorney General internship program which would be in Springfield.

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 12:40:05 PM »
You want to definitely get there this summer.  Do you have a FL or TX address of family or friends you could use?  If so, put that address on your resume along with your current address.  Try to get reciprocity with one or more of the FL schools.  I was looking in FL and FSU has a generous reciprocity policy.  Use martindale to find small firms and if your grades are high contact big firms asking for an interview as well.  Look into government, particularly higher prestige state govt jobs such as AG.

If you don't work in one of these places this summer, you should consider visiting a law school in those areas for 3L.  Admission as a visiting student is not very difficult and will usually allow you access to OCI and the career services office.

mcleod13

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 01:09:15 PM »
I thought about doing a visiting student semester or year but I am a little worried about the cost. I am going to be submitting my resumes here shortly.
If I am wanting to be a SA after school should I do a federal clerkship or an internship at an SA's office. I was looking at the Broward County SAO and it has a nice CLI program if you have a Chapter 11 license.

If I visit as a student would the fact that my JD would still be from SIU be as major of a downfall. Don't get me wrong, I like my school, but if I could have afforded to go elsewhere I would have.

I do appreciate any advice as I def want to get the hell out of dodge.

mcleod13

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 07:28:43 PM »
I did a search on being a visited student and it appears that there aren't alot of people on here that want to discuss it. I wouldn't mind being a visiting student to UMiami or NOVA but I don't know alot of info on it.

Suzieq830

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 02:17:31 AM »
id be interested in doing that in the city i want to work in.  how do u become a visiting student?

mcleod13

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 02:30:03 PM »
I just looked at the websites and got the instructions. I know that for most you have to submit a visiting/transient student app, provide a letter of good standing from the dean, a transcript, and an app fee. But then again, those are only for the schools I looked at. I do not know about other schools.

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 06:11:54 PM »
I'll probibly be applying to a few schools for visiting status in a couple of weeks. I'm waiting for my fall grades so I can change my hopefully higher GPA on my resume and update my unoffcial transcripts. I'd say call a couple of schools and ask, but i think that it is basically the same as if you were applying as a transfer although there is a lot less competition, you send an application, transcripts, letter from the dean saying that your law school will apply any credits you take at another law school to your law school credits. Usually the grades you recieve at another law school will not carry over to your home school's GPA. Good luck!! I'm an out of state law student too and know the difficulty of finding employment at a location other than where you law school is located.
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

roadie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 09:08:57 PM »
I am going to school on the east coast but am a CA native and the West is the Best. I was lucky to get a summer position in CA but it was difficult getting my foot in the door. I sent out around 50 resumes and cover letters to LA and SF firms in August. Nobody was interested even though I had good grades and law review. I think it was because in August I only sent stuff to vault 1-30 firms and I think they hired mostly from OCI. In Dec. I sent about 30 resume and cover letters to small and medium sized firms and government organizations (all unsolicited-I don't know who was hiring) and only heard back from 1 government organization which looked like a god job, but didn't pay so I had to ding it. I ultimately found the job I had because my career services offices tipped me off about a firm that was hiring. The hardest thing is finding firms that are hiring because I can't access the local schools job boards.

P.S. does anyone know how to access local schools job boards?