Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: how do law schools view online undergraduate degrees?  (Read 7089 times)

contrarian

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: how do law schools view online undergraduate degrees?
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2007, 05:54:01 PM »

First of all, generalizing that anyone who went to one school to a single max in LSAT score is a bit petty. Second of all, of course they woudl take the UofI guy in this scenario, and I clearly stated that being borderline with someone else is the only time your school even comes into play. Third of all, if the school was not known to be an online school like Devry or the University of Phoenix then it could go either way. And fourth of all, no degree from an online program actually has the word "online" anywhere on the diploma. Most people will not know that you did an online program unless you said it.

One - Humour is rooted in a degree of truth. 

Two - So we agree. Good.

Three - As I said originally, it's ignorant to assume admissions directors are not aware of online schools and the quality of their programs.

Four - The OP states "My degree will read University College rather than University of Maryland."  Therefore while it doesn't come from a university with "online" in it's name, as I have stated before that it's ignorant (or perhaps I should say insulting) to assume admissions directors wouldn't be aware of this.  If i were a director and came across the name of a school on an app that I'd never seen before, I'd probably do a quick look up to get more information about it, at least to determine that its legit.

contrarian

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2007, 06:06:37 PM »

Are you kidding me? You clearly have no knowledge of online programs. Online programs are not less stringent. Perhaps the FOR PROFIT schools like University of Phoenix is, but actual schools that are accredited and are not for profit are more stringent then many brick and mortar schools. Ask anyone who has taken classes at a brick and mortar facility and taken a class online and they will tell you that they had to do WAY more work for the online class. Do some research instead of throwing your pitiful excuse for an opinion at everyone please.

How many times do I have to say that different programs have different degrees of reputation?  Generally speaking online degrees are looked down upon.  End of story.  I feel sorry for the lamb that was slaughtered to print your AIU degree.  Perhaps if you work on your reading comprehension you'll be able to get a Kaplan law degree.

Saluki

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2007, 01:40:20 PM »

Are you kidding me? You clearly have no knowledge of online programs. Online programs are not less stringent. Perhaps the FOR PROFIT schools like University of Phoenix is, but actual schools that are accredited and are not for profit are more stringent then many brick and mortar schools. Ask anyone who has taken classes at a brick and mortar facility and taken a class online and they will tell you that they had to do WAY more work for the online class. Do some research instead of throwing your pitiful excuse for an opinion at everyone please.

How many times do I have to say that different programs have different degrees of reputation?  Generally speaking online degrees are looked down upon.  End of story.  I feel sorry for the lamb that was slaughtered to print your AIU degree.  Perhaps if you work on your reading comprehension you'll be able to get a Kaplan law degree.

Your posts continue to show your ignorance to anything out of the ordinary. You will eventually be lost in the change to the future. Good luck with that.

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2007, 01:53:14 PM »
I don't really think someone who completed their degree online is in a great position to say whether the general public finds them equivalent... of course you think so, and you at least sure as hell hope so.

Like I said, a T3 or T4 school won't care.  Employers probably will.

Saluki

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2007, 02:05:43 PM »
I don't really think someone who completed their degree online is in a great position to say whether the general public finds them equivalent... of course you think so, and you at least sure as hell hope so.

Perhaps you should ask someone who actually hires people if they care... so far of the 15 that I've asked, only 1 said they even looked at the college. All they care is that you have a degree, unless you went to a college that means something to them (i.e. the school they went to). Employers just like experience and the degree. The college I went to is a brick and mortar college, but I completed their online program. There is no indication that I did not go to school at their campus. Anyone who thinks that any online program is easier, or less prestigious than any normal college that the majority of people go to, then you are a fool that has not done research. Most people who go to law school live in this educational bubble and they can't see into their future career. If you are going to be a lawyer, then employers will only care about the law school you went to. If you are not going to be a lawyer, then the degree will look impressive enough.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2007, 02:53:11 PM »

Perhaps you should ask someone who actually hires people if they care... so far of the 15 that I've asked, only 1 said they even looked at the college. All they care is that you have a degree, unless you went to a college that means something to them (i.e. the school they went to). Employers just like experience and the degree. The college I went to is a brick and mortar college, but I completed their online program. There is no indication that I did not go to school at their campus. Anyone who thinks that any online program is easier, or less prestigious than any normal college that the majority of people go to, then you are a fool that has not done research. Most people who go to law school live in this educational bubble and they can't see into their future career. If you are going to be a lawyer, then employers will only care about the law school you went to. If you are not going to be a lawyer, then the degree will look impressive enough.

where you went to undergrad plays a role in where you work after law school whether you like to think that or not. 

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2007, 05:51:09 PM »
I hired people in my former life before law school.  If you'd have asked me, I'd probably say that where you went to undergrad didn't matter and it's based on the strength of your application overall.

But I would have been lying.

Biglaw Bound 3L

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2007, 06:02:40 PM »
An online degree hurts and yes everyone knows its from an online school.  Professors and admission committee people are total prestige snobs, which means the view online schools as second class.  Trust me, they know.  Their job is to process thousand of applications meaning they know/should know all the UG schools and any place that isnt familiar is going to raise a red flag, meaning they will investigate further.   

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2007, 08:58:49 PM »
any place that isnt familiar is going to raise a red flag, meaning they will investigate further.   

Or possibly worse, just toss the unknown resume and move on to an application with the same or better credentials + a school they actually recognize.