Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: An Important Message for 1Ls Scrambling for Firm Jobs:  (Read 6833 times)

gershonw

• View Profile
Re: An Important Message for 1Ls Scrambling for Firm Jobs:
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2007, 11:47:01 AM »
As a former 1L SA, I'd like to respectfully disagree with the OP. If you know you want to work in a firm, why not try to work in a firm as a 1L? The jobs are hard to get, but if you get one, there are some big perks: 1) you get to find out earlier than your classmates if a firm is really for you. Yeah, you get a lot of fluff work as a SA, but it will be clear after three months whether you fit in at a firm and would want to work there. That way, if it's not for you, you have 2L oci to focus elsewhere (gov't honors programs, etc). For me, I decided that even though I love working at a firm, I just couldn't stand the city I thought I wanted to work and wanted to change cities for 2L. Second, even though you're working for a "big bad corporation," most SA's do a lot of pro bono work and volunteering, so you will get to feel like you're doing your part to make the world a better place. 3) It will put your resume a cut above your classmates if you work at a reputable firm 1L and decide to reinterview for 2L (assuming of course that you got an offer and didn't burn bridges with your 1L firm).

2 and 3 are goods points.

as to your first point:

im not sure the SA experince is a good proxy for the real life of a junior BIGLW guy.  i hear they get treated with more respect and work decent hours etc..all not true for a real associate.  but i know nothing about this type of work so ill go back to meditation before my torts final now.

GA-fan

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2007, 02:11:03 PM »
Hours are one thing- no SA will give you an approximation of associate hours. It will, however, tell you if you can get along with groups, interact well with your peers and superiors, and whether you can handle firm happy hours. Much of what makes a person successful in a firm is "fitting in"- if you can't get along with attorneys at a firm, it won't matter whether they like the quality of your work. no one would want to work with you. Likewise, if can't stand chumming around with the associates for lunch or playing office politics, best to get out while you can.

BongJovi

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2007, 12:26:56 PM »
As a former 1L SA, I'd like to respectfully disagree with the OP. If you know you want to work in a firm, why not try to work in a firm as a 1L? The jobs are hard to get, but if you get one, there are some big perks: 1) you get to find out earlier than your classmates if a firm is really for you. Yeah, you get a lot of fluff work as a SA, but it will be clear after three months whether you fit in at a firm and would want to work there. That way, if it's not for you, you have 2L oci to focus elsewhere (gov't honors programs, etc). For me, I decided that even though I love working at a firm, I just couldn't stand the city I thought I wanted to work and wanted to change cities for 2L. Second, even though you're working for a "big bad corporation," most SA's do a lot of pro bono work and volunteering, so you will get to feel like you're doing your part to make the world a better place. 3) It will put your resume a cut above your classmates if you work at a reputable firm 1L and decide to reinterview for 2L (assuming of course that you got an offer and didn't burn bridges with your 1L firm).

So that's my sell. Plus, the money is nice- it helped pay for my summer vacation  :D

If you know you want to be a firm guy, might as well go all out. As to 1) there's no way, either 1L SA or 2L SA you're going to have a clue about what firm life is like. It's all bait and switch. Everyone knows this. Even if you hate the firm 1L summer you're probably going to go back or go to a different firm 2L summer to get that job offer to fall back on. 2) Hilarious. Pro Bono work is a great way for firm lawyers to shed some guilt. That's about all it's good for IMHO. 3) I really doubt that being a 1L SA at Kelley Drye looks better on a resume than DOJ, USAO or a SDNY judicial internship. If so, you might want to email all the Harvard/Yale 1Ls on Law Review who work in those places and tell them they're making a huge mistake.

Basically if you're the kinda person who wants to brag to friends about the cutting edge documnet review you're staffed on, by all means go to a firm 1L summer. If not, take your free summer pass and cash it in on something your heart is really in. I feel the money thing. I'll probably end up working in BIGLAW a few years anyways. But getting that experience 1L summer gives you an idea of where you want to go after your firm serves its purpose, and if you play your cards right the attorneys you worked with there will be happy to help you come back.