Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need Advice From You 2Yr Students  (Read 1176 times)

chicitabanana

• View Profile
    • Email
Need Advice From You 2Yr Students
« on: November 19, 2007, 11:09:04 PM »
If you could go back in time, would you go to a lower ranked T1 school (in the region you want to work in) with a good scholarship or would you go to a school in the lower t14 with no scholarship.

Of note: My lsat score is significantly higher than the top 25th percentile of the lower T1 school and my GPA is right in the middle. ie. I'm wondering if I can assume that I will rank high and therefore get a good job...or is the lsat a poor predictor of class rank?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Need Advice From You 2Yr Students
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 11:13:15 PM »
i don't have much advice to give for your main question. 

I can only say that LSAT is NOT a good predictor of anything other than whether you'll meet the basic standards at a school.  My GPA and lsat were both around the median, and if those are predictors I'd be around the middle of my class - instead I'm near the top.  So once you're in, there are many, many other factors that probably have more bearing on how you do than gpa/lsat.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 11:33:02 PM »
yea, my buddies and i were at the bottom of the class LSATs and top of the class GPA and finish 1L year at the top of the class.  It has to do with work ethic/luck/natural intelligence. 

Go to the best school you can get into if you want to pursue anything in big law.  Even at the top of the class at a lower tier one, some firms wont even consider you.  OCI is extremely limited at lower ranked schools, so you dont have as many options.  I go to a higher tier one school and some firms wont even consider interviewing students from here. 

My philosophy about law schools was that if they would give me any money, I shouldnt even consider them.  To each his own, but I mean, you should really do what is best for your career.  Even if you change your mind about big law sort of stuff (sorry if I am jumping to conclusions that is what you want to do), it is significantly easier to get the best government jobs/public interest jobs from the better school.  Most of the people I go to school with turned down full rides to be here.  I know I did and I dont regret it one bit.

McLovin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 12:32:24 AM »
yea, my buddies and i were at the bottom of the class LSATs and top of the class GPA and finish 1L year at the top of the class.  It has to do with work ethic/luck/natural intelligence. 

Go to the best school you can get into if you want to pursue anything in big law.  Even at the top of the class at a lower tier one, some firms wont even consider you.  OCI is extremely limited at lower ranked schools, so you dont have as many options.  I go to a top 20/25 school (it fluctuates) and some firms wont even consider interviewing students from here. 

My philosophy about law schools was that if they would give me any money, I shouldnt even consider them.  To each his own, but I mean, you should really do what is best for your career.  Even if you change your mind about big law sort of stuff (sorry if I am jumping to conclusions that is what you want to do), it is significantly easier to get the best government jobs/public interest jobs from the better school.  I am at a top 25 school, but most of the people I am with turned down full rides to be here.  I know I did and I dont regret it one bit.

Do you go to a Top 25 school?

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 12:58:39 AM »
yea, why is it necessary to be like a jerk like that?  I said it twice in the entire post.  The guy was asking about a T14, so when I was emphasizing the importance of going to a t14, i figured for comparison purposes I would tell him that I was not at one, and when I talked about people turning down full rides I wanted to emphasize that people were willing to make the sacrifice to go to schools significantly less prestigious or even decent then anything in the top 14.  So, no need to get nasty

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 01:00:01 AM »
fixed it, is it better now?

McLovin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 01:19:37 AM »
yea, why is it necessary to be like a jerk like that?  I said it twice in the entire post.  The guy was asking about a T14, so when I was emphasizing the importance of going to a t14, i figured for comparison purposes I would tell him that I was not at one, and when I talked about people turning down full rides I wanted to emphasize that people were willing to make the sacrifice to go to schools significantly less prestigious or even decent then anything in the top 14.  So, no need to get nasty

Sorry, didn't think I was being nasty.  I just found it humorous.

craven

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 08:33:39 AM »
I took a T25 and money over a T14 and debt, and I'm happy with the decision.  It landed me the job I wanted.

Alamo79

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 10:43:10 AM »
It's a very personal decision.  I think the first thing should be your personal happiness.  If you're from the Midwest and have a close family, you may hate Georgetown and end up doing very poorly there, while you might do much better and be much happier staying close to home.  And being low-ranked in the low-T14, from what I understand, is no guarantee of a good job. 
     On the other hand, you may be excited about going to the T14, and look at it as a great chance to spend some time elsewhere and really challenge yourself.  You might also end up regretting the local school, and asking yourself "what if I'd gone to Duke?" 
     This isn't the kind of decision you should make in a vacuum.

It's also a good idea to identify what options are more likely to be kept open, and what options (probably more than the examples below) are more likely to be foreclosed, by your decision:

Low T1: high-salaried big-city prestigious biglaw job, many of the more exciting/interesting gov't jobs, generally more prestigious jobs anywhere, with the exception of within your region if you do well, or if you have good connections.

T14: starting your career in a non-profit or small-town firm.  It might be doable with biglaw debt, but it will be very difficult.  If you find that you don't really want one of the super-prestigious jobs, your T14 degree won't be worth much (if anything) more than your low T1 degree.

And while LSAT is the best predictor of law school success, it's not a good one (.3 correlation coefficient).  Banking on doing well within your class based on your LSAT score (or any other attribute, really) is a huge, ill-advised risk.

Good luck.