Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Worth the move  (Read 8047 times)

redjay

• View Profile
Worth the move
« on: November 19, 2007, 05:07:19 PM »
At a T2 (#70) in NY right now, If I am thinking I probably want to practice in CA. Would my best bet be to try to transfer to an equally ranked school in CA, or to transfer to a better school in NY? I know this is a transfer-board type question - but a lot of those people have no real job experience and will offer a wide variety of advice I don't want/need...so any input would be great, thanks.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Worth the move
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 05:12:38 PM »
I am at a top 25 law school and know that it places very well in Cali despite not being in cali.  If you have the grades to get into a good school in NY, you probably have the grades to get into a good school in Cali.  however, a top 20 law school in either will give you great prospects in California.  If you bomb it, transfer to an equally ranked place in cali.

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 02:55:50 PM »
If you get into Columbia or NYU, go there.  Otherwise make a lateral move to a Cali school.

DH52

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 07:33:39 PM »
I was at T2 and transferred to T25 specifically to try to get a job in that market.  It worked, but it was very hard and took a long time to get an offer.  In my experience (including anecdotal info from others), transfers don't do as well in fall recruiting as returning students--no journal or moot court/mock trial, and no grades at your new school. 

At the same time, your chances of getting biglaw job in Cali from T2 in NY are very, very slim.  If you are really committed to working in CA, you should transfer.  If you have the grades, go to any T14 (or probably even T25) and you will be much better off, even if the school isn't in CA.  If not, then try for the highest ranked school in CA. 

FYI: With transfer apps, the earlier the better and volume helps--it's a somewhat random process.

yykm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 08:56:01 PM »
I went from a t1/t2 to a t25.  I ended up with a medium size firm that pays well.  As DH mentioned, it's somewhat difficult to get a job w/o grades at the new school. 

If I was you, I'd transfer to a top 30 school if I could.  However, keep in mind that if youre not in the top 15% at your old school AND you arent at a t14ish school, then biglaw will be tough to get.  Top 1/3 is the rough cutoff point for biglaw jobs at the top 20-30 schools, so the firms need to view your ranking as at least on par with top 1/3 at the top 20-30 school to have a decent shot.

Also, you may want to consider transferring to a school that provides the best shot at biglaw regardless of location.  After a few years in a location you dont like, you will be free to move where you want and even stay in biglaw.