Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: skadden or latham  (Read 2548 times)

calaw

• View Profile
skadden or latham
« on: November 17, 2007, 01:09:19 PM »
i am a 2L having a really hard time deciding between skadden and latham dc.  any thoughts?  this is a sincere question, i would really appreciate any advice or thoughts anyone has on these firms...

oscarsonthepond

• mmm....bOOYA!!!
    • View Profile
Re: skadden or latham
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 01:15:45 AM »
I'm going to Latham next summer.  I didn't look into Skadden because they didn't have the location I wanted, but I have talked at length with a guy I know who spent last summer at Skadden and I've also done the same w/ a guy who spent last summer at Latham.  They both raved about their firms and both are returning as associates next year.  As you know, the two firms are very similar in many respects (namely they are HUGE V10 firms).  The compensation, QOL, work, prestige, exit options, etc. are going to be very similar for both.  I would say pick the one where you liked the people the most (which probably doesn't help much).

FWIW, after doing my callback w/ Latham and getting an offer I cancelled a callback at a V5 firm and turned down my other offers because I knew Latham was where I wanted to be.  Everyone I met there was really friendly/personable and from everything I've read it seems like Latham is probably the best bet as far as overall job satisfication goes for a V10 firm.  Also, for me a very big draw was the 2-year unassigned program.  I know at the Latham office I'm going to they had 15 SAs this past summer and a number of them split with other firms.  They extended offers to all 15 and all 15 have accepted.  To me that says a lot.  Good luck w/ your decision.

calaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 03:52:15 PM »
Hey, thanks for the reply - it was really helpful.  I've heard great things about both firms, like you said, but I also found the people I met at Latham extremely personable.  Any thoughts on whether Latham is going to match the new bonus structure (in non-ny markets), though?  Did that impact your decision at all?  It's the only V10 that hasn't so far...not like that's the only criteria, of course, but it's harder to refuse a firm that's going to guarantee you more to do substantially similar work. 

oscarsonthepond

• mmm....bOOYA!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 11:49:26 PM »
Historically in NY Latham has paid at least market bonuses, but frequently above market from what I've seen.  I think last year their bonuses started at $27,500 for first years - I don't know where that fit in with non-NY bonuses, but my guess is that that was at or above market.  I believe Latham pays their bonuses in January/February and they usually wait until then to announce, so I certainly wouldn't be alarmed that they haven't said anything yet and I wouldn't count on hearing anything before you make your decision.

Cravath hadn't announced yet when I made my decision, so it wasn't an issue for me.  Even if I was making my decision now, however, the fact that Latham hasn't announced wouldn't affect my decision because (1) it seems highly likely that Latham will pay market bonuses in any cities where other firms are doing so, and (2) whatever happens now will likely have little impact on me, since there's a pretty good chance that base pay and/or bonuses will have changed again (and again and again) by the time I receive my first full-year bonus in late 2010/early 2011.

Let me know what you end up doing and maybe we'll see each other at the summer retreat if you pick Latham.  Good luck - you have two amazing choices and can't go wrong either way.