Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I'm soo mad  (Read 2960 times)

Law Geek

• View Profile
I'm soo mad
« on: November 15, 2007, 10:42:06 AM »
i was paired up for a moot court competition w/a 1L (i'm a 3L). we split the brief writting into 2 issues, each of us doing 1. 4 days before the brief is due he has only written out 8 paragraphs of law/arguemtn. it had absolutely no appellate brief format, no case explanations, no applications...nothing!! i'm not even going to mention the lack of any IRAC, CRAC, or TREAT format. of course i figured he was a slacker from the get go so i volunteered to do everything else (summary of argument, facts,etc). all he had to do was write his argument. i met with him several times, gave him my brief writing books, tips, etc etc. of course i was always available to him, he could've asked me questions. but nooo. he's one of those guys that goes out and drinks every night. he's on his cell phone non stop and whenever i confronted him about his lack of committment to the project, he'd give me some lame excuse and smooth talk his way out of guilt. of course this is when he actually answers my e-mails & phone calls. most of the time he ignores my e-mails for 2 days.

well....it is the day before the brief is due (brief due at 5 on a Friday). i wait up until 1 am thursday night for him to e-mail me his argument. he doesn't!! he sends it to me the next day, the due date, at 9:45 !!! he then tells me that's it's still not done!! i look at the brief, half of the rules do not have law. it's way too long, as is my section, so somehow i have to revise this and make it fit w/in the page limits.  i'm supposed to put it together and revise it, fit the pages in, and all the other stuff that goes in when u put 2 parts of a brief together...by 5??? aaaaaaaaand i'm supposed to wait for him to decide to send me the final argument?? is he crazy?? how did a person like this get into law school??? what should i do?

Mr. Roe

• View Profile
Re: I'm soo mad
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 12:53:04 PM »

vaplaugh

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 01:22:37 PM »
i was paired up for a moot court competition w/a 1L (i'm a 3L). we split the brief writting into 2 issues, each of us doing 1. 4 days before the brief is due he has only written out 8 paragraphs of law/arguemtn. it had absolutely no appellate brief format, no case explanations, no applications...nothing!! i'm not even going to mention the lack of any IRAC, CRAC, or TREAT format. of course i figured he was a slacker from the get go so i volunteered to do everything else (summary of argument, facts,etc). all he had to do was write his argument. i met with him several times, gave him my brief writing books, tips, etc etc. of course i was always available to him, he could've asked me questions. but nooo. he's one of those guys that goes out and drinks every night. he's on his cell phone non stop and whenever i confronted him about his lack of committment to the project, he'd give me some lame excuse and smooth talk his way out of guilt. of course this is when he actually answers my e-mails & phone calls. most of the time he ignores my e-mails for 2 days.

well....it is the day before the brief is due (brief due at 5 on a Friday). i wait up until 1 am thursday night for him to e-mail me his argument. he doesn't!! he sends it to me the next day, the due date, at 9:45 !!! he then tells me that's it's still not done!! i look at the brief, half of the rules do not have law. it's way too long, as is my section, so somehow i have to revise this and make it fit w/in the page limits.  i'm supposed to put it together and revise it, fit the pages in, and all the other stuff that goes in when u put 2 parts of a brief together...by 5??? aaaaaaaaand i'm supposed to wait for him to decide to send me the final argument?? is he crazy?? how did a person like this get into law school??? what should i do?

Well, today is Thursday.  So, I take it this situation happened sometime prior to this week?  If this is all in the past, and you already turned the brief in, what's the point of this thread?

Mr. Roe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 01:25:00 PM »

Well, today is Thursday.  So, I take it this situation happened sometime prior to this week?  If this is all in the past, and you already turned the brief in, what's the point of this thread?

pwned

james

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 08:00:31 PM »
is he crazy?? how did a person like this get into law school???

I'm really not sure how I got into law school.

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 09:10:09 PM »
How does a 1L in their first semseter even get on a moot court competition? This sounds like a total flame to me.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 09:14:58 PM »
How does a 1L in their first semseter even get on a moot court competition? This sounds like a total flame to me.

I also want to know how a 1L got into a moot court competition.  Or is it a part-time 1L who's in his second year?

Law Geek

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 11:50:02 PM »
the 1Ls are allowed to compete b/c the competition rules allow them to try out for that competition. although...the tryout wasn't tough at all.

here's an update if anyone is interested....i turned the brief in on time but it's crap. i was able to edit some of my partner's part but not as much as i'd like. the substantive stuff i couldn't really help him with b/c i didn't know it.

Law Geek

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 11:51:54 PM »
wow "cry about it" you say !! why didn't i think of that?! that is an original thought. did it take you a long time to think of it? i hope u didn't strain ur tiny brain thinking about it. omg that is TOTALLY going to solve everything !!

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007, 09:29:00 AM »
the 1Ls are allowed to compete b/c the competition rules allow them to try out for that competition. although...the tryout wasn't tough at all.

Letting 1Ls compete, especially first semester, is just stupid - they barely know how to research and have yet to even learn how to write a brief.

Second, I still think this is BS, since you apparently stayed up until 1 am on Thursday, even though you made your first post at 10 am on THURSDAY.

Third, if this ISN'T BS, what the hell kind of "advice" were you looking for here?  It's not like any of us can tell your 1L partner to get his crap together.  "Cry about it" is about the best any of us could do.  ::)