Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: No job...what now?  (Read 2293 times)

ugh

• View Profile
No job...what now?
« on: November 12, 2007, 11:18:24 AM »
Well, it's officially mid-November, and I got nothing for next summer. I wanted to do government work, but nothing I applied to panned out. I applied to one firm relatively late in the game (October), had an awesome call-back, but I have yet to hear anything from them (they're waiting to see who accepts the offers they already have out, so it may be a while). I'm at a top tier school, but it's towards the bottom of the tier. My GPA is top 50, but barely. I'm on a secondary journal, my note is getting published, and I'm on Moot Court.

My question is, what do I do now? I'm guessing it's too late to apply to most firms, but is it worth a shot anyways? What about smaller firms - how do I even find those? Are they even still hiring? How about government jobs with less prestigious agencies? I'd even take a volunteer gig if it would turn into an interesting paying job after graduation. I'd really appreciate any guidance anyone has on this...I feel like I've maxed out my opportunities.

Thanks.

McLovin

• View Profile
Re: No job...what now?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 12:50:07 PM »
You haven't even come close to maxing out your opportunities.  It's not to late in the game for mid-size firms.  In fact, a lot of them haven't even finalized their SA program yet which means they haven't started interviewing yet.  Go to lexisnexis.com/lawschool/career and search for mid-size/small firms in your area and start calling and sending out resumes.  Good luck.

yykm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 03:03:51 PM »
You haven't even come close to maxing out your opportunities.  It's not to late in the game for mid-size firms.  In fact, a lot of them haven't even finalized their SA program yet which means they haven't started interviewing yet.  Go to lexisnexis.com/lawschool/career and search for mid-size/small firms in your area and start calling and sending out resumes.  Good luck.
This also depends greatly on the market youre looking at.  I applied to some 10-20 atty firms as a backup in late Sept. and they said they already filled their positions thru OCI.  I'm sure this varies depending on the market, but I know I was shocked when I heard from these rather small firms that they already made their summer decisions before Oct.

craven

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 04:01:08 PM »
Not sure what gov. slots you were looking at, but also take a look at PD and DA's offices.  Also look at state court clerkships, even district courts; they can be wells of experience.  Work any personal connections with attorneys if you haven't already.  Talk to your CSO if you haven't already.  If all else fails, resume bomb small and mid-sized firms asking around to see if they know of positions.  If they don't have one for you, they may know someone who does.

ugh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 07:50:27 PM »
Thanks everyone! I definitely appreciate the help. It's good to know that I still have options.

legapp

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 03:24:07 AM »
Mid-size firms are still hiring, for sure.  If you're serious about not getting the SA money, you should work for a judge--I did this my 1L summer, and I LOVED it.  Try to find a judge who worked in another government branch before being appointed, because he may be able to hook you up.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 10:16:34 AM »
Mid-size firms are still hiring, for sure.  If you're serious about not getting the SA money, you should work for a judge--I did this my 1L summer, and I LOVED it.  Try to find a judge who worked in another government branch before being appointed, because he may be able to hook you up.

judges probably arent the best option for 2L summer though, because at least mid size firms have a possibility of turning into a full time offer which will be important if oci next year doesnt turn up anything.

Anyone else surprised KraziNazi hasnt chimed in with his usual advice yet?

DrAjay

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 11:09:42 AM »
May be he woke up one day and realized he is not in Yale, and it was just a dream.

KrazyNazi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 12:55:52 PM »
Well, it's officially mid-November, and I got nothing for next summer.

two words: KILL SELF
Yale Law School - Class of 09