Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: memoir on the resume  (Read 11480 times)

dietcoke

• View Profile
Re: memoir on the resume
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 07:32:55 PM »

NeXD

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 08:08:15 PM »
no one gives a *&^% that you run a blog or have a book.  You think employer's will?  If I was looking at a resume like that, I would think you are a pretentious arrogant a-hole and throw your resume away after making fun of you to all my co-workers....

But then again, I am unemployed with no co-workers, so who am I to say anything.

RickLax.com

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LawSchoolBlogger.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2007, 11:32:17 PM »
I wouldn't put it on there, especially if its anything like your blog.  I'd be afraid someone would read it and rescind my job offer...

Do I say mean things about people on my blog?
Thought I kept it positive...

Uh...right.  I meant that your blog is pretty crappy - it sucks, IMO.  If your "memoirs" are based on what you wrote there, then I'd be ashamed to put my name on it in print.  Blogging on the internet is one thing; charging people for a book is quite another.  I'm still shocked as hell that any publisher saw anything worth printing...

No, the memoir is different from the blog.
Memoir is my first year.  Blog is the 3rd.

What's the name of your book?

Lawyer Boy: A Case Study on Growing Up

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 11:39:14 PM »
you ignored my questions lawschoolblogger....:(

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2007, 02:56:41 PM »
I wouldn't put it on there, especially if its anything like your blog.  I'd be afraid someone would read it and rescind my job offer...

Do I say mean things about people on my blog?
Thought I kept it positive...

Uh...right.  I meant that your blog is pretty crappy - it sucks, IMO.  If your "memoirs" are based on what you wrote there, then I'd be ashamed to put my name on it in print.  Blogging on the internet is one thing; charging people for a book is quite another.  I'm still shocked as hell that any publisher saw anything worth printing...

No, the memoir is different from the blog.
Memoir is my first year.  Blog is the 3rd.

What's the name of your book?

Lawyer Boy: A Case Study on Growing Up

Great. I'll know what not to buy now.

RickLax.com

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LawSchoolBlogger.com
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2008, 04:28:04 PM »
you ignored my questions lawschoolblogger....:(

Sorry.  Had to look twice to spot the question.  Seemed like everybody was just being mean.  I go to DePaul.

And I can't tell if anybody was actually trying to give me real advice here...but I walk away thinking to keep teh book on the resume but don't say it's a memoir.

-LawSchoolBlogger.com

tacchino

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2008, 08:08:35 PM »
Some advice about just putting it on your resume and not saying that it's a memoir.  The title of the book itself sounds like a giveaway, IMHO.  What else could it be?  A novel?

That being said, as I have no idea what is in the book, it would be hard to comment on whether it is going to be a detriment to your job search. But a warning; many employers frown upon employees having job-related blogs, and if they think you'll continue your blog once you're employed, they might think twice about hiring you.  At-will employees have been fired for maintaining blogs (private employees actually have latitude to do this).

Is your book a whole warts-and-all, spill-the-beans about your law school experience (as your blog seems to be)?  If so, employers might be concerned, if only that many are overly cautious these days, particularly when it comes to legal employment.  Discretion is highly prized, in terms of colleagues and clients; if it looks in the slightest like you are not discrete in your manner of discussing your experiences, potential employers are going to hesitate.

Trust me...this is the day when employers are checking people's facebook accounts to see if there are pictures of the prospective employee partying too hard, or behaving irresponsibly.  It sounds crazy, but you really have to manage your image carefully. 

RickLax.com

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LawSchoolBlogger.com
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2008, 03:46:16 PM »
Some advice about just putting it on your resume and not saying that it's a memoir.  The title of the book itself sounds like a giveaway, IMHO.  What else could it be?  A novel?

That being said, as I have no idea what is in the book, it would be hard to comment on whether it is going to be a detriment to your job search. But a warning; many employers frown upon employees having job-related blogs, and if they think you'll continue your blog once you're employed, they might think twice about hiring you.  At-will employees have been fired for maintaining blogs (private employees actually have latitude to do this).

Is your book a whole warts-and-all, spill-the-beans about your law school experience (as your blog seems to be)?  If so, employers might be concerned, if only that many are overly cautious these days, particularly when it comes to legal employment.  Discretion is highly prized, in terms of colleagues and clients; if it looks in the slightest like you are not discrete in your manner of discussing your experiences, potential employers are going to hesitate.

Trust me...this is the day when employers are checking people's facebook accounts to see if there are pictures of the prospective employee partying too hard, or behaving irresponsibly.  It sounds crazy, but you really have to manage your image carefully. 

This is all very scary...but it does make sense.  Whenever I say something bad about somebody on the bog, I do keep their identity secret...but I don't know how comforting that would be to potential employers.  YEah...I plan to stop the blog in July or August and I guess I just have to tell employers that.

But couldn't "Lawyer Boy" just be a novel?

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2008, 05:18:19 PM »
how come you dont have a job lined up already?

RickLax.com

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LawSchoolBlogger.com
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2008, 01:59:24 AM »
how come you dont have a job lined up already?

Haven't started looking.  I plan to soon.  But right now I plan to do a few months of writing between the end of school and the start of a legal job.  Because once I start working at a legal job, I don't plan to stop any time soon.