Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GW-->t14?  (Read 3686 times)

Bob Loblaw

• View Profile
GW-->t14?
« on: November 11, 2007, 07:12:13 PM »
I am currently a 1L at GW. I like GW alot, but I like more the idea of national marketability upon graduation.

What kind of rank would I need to be able to practice anywhere in the country with a degree from GW? Or am I basically confined to the DC area no matter what?

What kind of rank would I need to do this from a T14 school?

What do I have to do grades-wise my first year to have a good chance at transferring to a t14 (specifically, GULC)? A T10?

I've heard that some schools are hostile to transfers. Which schools are particularly bad? Any particularly good/accepting? That whole notion seems absurd to me - I would never look down upon someone if I found out they were at GW because they transferred from Catholic. Rather, I'd congratulate them for showing they had what it took to attend a better school. But anyway, reality is reality and I'd like to know which schools are notorious in this vein in case I have a close decision between two schools.

Thanks.

MrBrett1117

• View Profile
Re: GW-->t14?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 10:27:02 AM »
Though I cannot speak from experience about transferring from a T25 to a T14, I was able to do it from a T4 (however, I didn't end up going, so I cannot speak to how I would have been received.)  My guess is that you would need a class rank somewhere between the top 1/3 and top 1/4 to get into G-Town (based on what I have seen from the Transferapps group on Yahoo.)

I think that when people say a school is hostile to transfers they are referring to the fact that it does not accept many.  Schools like Harvard, Yale, Stanford, and Cornell have reputations for being tough to transfer into (though Cornell accepted me from a T4, so it cannot be that tough.)  Schools like NYU, Columbia, and Georgetown all take a lot of transfers, and thus have a reputation for being "more transfer friendly." 

If you want any information about my experience, feel free to PM me.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 12:33:27 PM »
If your grades are good enough to transfer to T14 (i.e. top 15% of your class), then you will be a national candidate with those grades out of GW.

Though, I gotta say, as a 1L, you have NO idea where you stand right now so maybe you should go study for upcoming exams and quit playing "what I'm going to do when I get straight A's" fantasy role play online lol.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 02:34:34 PM »
If your grades are good enough to transfer to T14 (i.e. top 15% of your class), then you will be a national candidate with those grades out of GW.

Though, I gotta say, as a 1L, you have NO idea where you stand right now so maybe you should go study for upcoming exams and quit playing "what I'm going to do when I get straight A's" fantasy role play online lol.

I have several friends at GW.  A few of them transfered out last year.  One was top 15% (barely) and went to NYU.  Others went to Harvard of Yale with what I assume was closer to top 5%.  I think anyone that was in the top 15% could leave easily. 

That said, transferring out of GW is a waste of time unless you are miserable there.  Top 25% guarantees great jobs in NY, DC, or California, and where the hell as would you wanna go?  You have similar options if you are in transfer position at GW then if you were going to a T14.  I wouldnt count on having the grades yet or even consider transfering if you could.

Plus, rumors are circulating that GW will be number 17 this year.  its definitely not worth moving to the ghetto (g-twon) for a school ranked 3 better.

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 03:09:14 PM »
17?!?!

yeah i'll believe it when i see it

oscarsonthepond

• mmm....bOOYA!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 03:24:17 PM »
IMO you'd be better off worrying about finals right now.  As someone else said, if you're able to transfer to a higher ranked school then you'd be just as marketable at your current school because you'd have solid grades.  There isn't a single firm you couldn't work at coming from GW if your grades are good enough (Wachtell would be unlikely, but still possible if you were first in your class w/ a solid resume).

You'll almost certainly be getting your job in the fall of your second year.  This means that even if you did transfer, firms would still be looking at your 1L grades in context of your 1L school.  You'll probably have a much better idea of if/where you want to transfer come next summer when you'd actually be applying.  Just my two cents.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 03:42:14 PM »
17?!?!

yeah i'll believe it when i see it

hahaha, i know, it seems really wishful thinking on there parts, but i know there are 60 people on full scholarships in the 1L class, which means the quality of students has gone up considerably.  Also, the average lsat jumped 2 or 3 points i believe which is considerable.  so, it will be interesting in seeing what happens, but i would think it would at least break the top 20 again.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 05:19:25 PM »
Nah, it won't change the job market.  The rank will definitely go up significantly this year though b/c they gave out so much scholarship money.  The LSAT median is higher than vandy's as is the gpa median of this year's incoming class.  They did it strictly to get the ranking up (or down, rather) and it will accomplish just that.

In terms of job options, GW does damn well if you aren't a complete moron.  I'm not in the top of my class, I'm a PT student, and I have a biglaw job lined up for the summer.  I think a lot of the problem is that many law students expect to be spoon fed.

Granted, I got my job through OCI, but many will not and then they simply don't put forth the effort to mass mail resumes and land a job.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 05:34:47 PM »
yea, the people at GW that dont get jobs are typically the ones that wait forever to do the mass mailings. people are slackers something.

I think if the jump is significant, job prospects will improve or at least outside of DC.  I say that only because a significant jump in the rankings will probably call some significant attention to GW among the legal community and put it on the radar a little.

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 08:17:16 PM »
didn't know that hte median lsat jumped to 167 ... (exciting!) ;)