Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Using IM and Chatrooms during class  (Read 2292 times)

james

• View Profile
Re: Using IM and Chatrooms during class
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2007, 08:46:02 AM »
Not a very good idea, I'd think, but people should do whatever they want.

I am glad people use it in class.  I feel like it moves me closer to the better side of the curve.  thoughts?

LOL- one of those typical law school personalities that everyone hates. He's sitting in class just telling himself over and over that this will hurt others grades and he will benefit from their use of IM. So sad.

Lampshade Punk

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Even in the quietest moments."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 02:46:40 PM »
Not a very good idea, I'd think, but people should do whatever they want.

I am glad people use it in class.  I feel like it moves me closer to the better side of the curve.  thoughts?

LOL- one of those typical law school personalities that everyone hates. He's sitting in class just telling himself over and over that this will hurt others grades and he will benefit from their use of IM. So sad.

Isn't the typical law school personality, who everyone hates, the one who doesn't tell himself anything but tells everyone else everything.  just a thought.  kthanksbye.

blackpowerman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 09:48:38 AM »
who the fukc is online at 9 in the morning anyways? most of my friends are either sleeping or at work. 
"The fox knows many tricks; the hedgehog one good one" - Archilochus

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 10:40:07 AM »
who the fukc is online at 9 in the morning anyways? most of my friends are either sleeping or at work. 

Other law students in your class.

blackpowerman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2007, 12:38:12 AM »
well thats my point- wtf do u want to talk to the annoying a$$hole next to you for?  sigh...
"The fox knows many tricks; the hedgehog one good one" - Archilochus

Lampshade Punk

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Even in the quietest moments."
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2007, 01:44:26 AM »
well thats my point- wtf do u want to talk to the annoying a$$hole next to you for?  sigh...

i hear you.

olive

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2008, 05:28:57 PM »
It can be useful to have AIM open in case you missed something the prof said, want to clarify a point, or have a simple Q you'd rather not ask in front of the whole class. It can also be useful to pre-screen a Q you are considering asking the professor (your friend might be able to answer it, or let you know if it's worth asking).

... and of course it's fun to just chat.  :D

mizzmj

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2008, 06:23:56 PM »
It's called multi-tasking.  :)

And it's also as efficient as coffee when it comes to keeping me awake in a lot of my dreadfully boring classes.

santropez

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2008, 08:22:02 PM »
I don't care about IM or email... I can't stand when people play video games - that *&^% is DISTRACTING and highly disrespectful. 

I guess my classes are different than a lot of the posters' on this thread; My teachers test on stuff they go over in class.  Thus, actively listening to the lecture portions of the class gives me another opportunity to be exposed to the material that will show up on the exam.  I might zone out if one of my classmates asks a stupid question, or while a student is essentially reciting a case brief (facts/holding/etc.) after being called on.  However, most of the time I'm pretty involved during class. 

What are you guys paying 30k+ a year for?  To not pay attention to the Profs that you're paying?  I don't personally care what how you spend your money so you can take that as a rhetorical question :P     

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2008, 08:29:46 PM »
my professors all wrote their own text books, so if they have anything important to say, they would have written it in their book. As I can read at a 10th grade level, there is nothing else to do in class but to IM...