Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Using IM and Chatrooms during class  (Read 2303 times)

Lampshade Punk

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Even in the quietest moments."
    • View Profile
Using IM and Chatrooms during class
« on: November 09, 2007, 10:25:05 PM »

alot of people participate in these activities during class. 

thoughts? 

james

• View Profile
Re: Using IM and Chatrooms during class
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 11:57:31 PM »
If anyone seriously has a problem with it they are 100% a total loser who needs to get a f**king life.  And I say this having never used IM in class- but seriously.

JobInquiry

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 12:00:59 AM »
Not a very good idea, I'd think, but people should do whatever they want.

Lampshade Punk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 01:34:45 AM »
If anyone seriously has a problem with it they are 100% a total loser who needs to get a f**king life.  And I say this having never used IM in class- but seriously.

thanks for playing.  you're a loser.  bye.  the end.

Lampshade Punk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 01:35:23 AM »

I am glad people use it in class.  I feel like it moves me closer to the better side of the curve.  thoughts?

McLovin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 04:10:25 AM »

I am glad people use it in class.  I feel like it moves me closer to the better side of the curve.  thoughts?

I'm pretty sure how much you IM has nothing to do with how well you perform in class.  Most of the class discussion is useless anyway; every once in a while someone may ask a good question that you should write down and that's about it.

lawgirl442

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 10:19:38 AM »

I feel like one's overinflated expectation of being on the "better side of the curve" would correlate more highly with poor exam performance than one's IM use.  Thoughts?
UVA '10

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 10:30:13 AM »
All of my classes are interesting, but I'm pretty secure in feeling that they will not be particularly useful on the exam.  In which case I feel fine doing my extracurriculars, resumes, cover letters, and researching employers on class time.  Some people can multi-task better than others, and I can always devote enough of my active brain to class to be able to answer a question if asked.

I'd wait until after exams to see if you feel smug about your in-class self-denial.

Lampshade Punk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 10:46:29 AM »
I don't really feel its a sense of smugness or "over-inflated" expectation of being on the good side of the curve.  I think it correlates more to the teacher saying "this is a really important concept that you will want to take not of" and the fact that IM'ing and chat room participation may increase the chance that one will miss that comment.  thoughts? 

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2007, 10:46:41 AM »
during every class i play solitaire, take notes, and am on aim.  I find it useful if I for some reason miss what the professor says or am confused about a topic (not the solitaire part, i am just addicted).  We often IM each other names back and forth, or just complain about the girl that phrases every comment she ever makes "I find it interesting that . . . we learned in my feminist legal theory that. . . ."  It is often more useful then screaming.