Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Can you transfer if you are a part time student?  (Read 1062 times)

nicole404

• View Profile
    • Email
Can you transfer if you are a part time student?
« on: November 08, 2007, 06:59:54 PM »
I'm currently a first year part time student.  Am I able to transfer at the end of this year to another school--even if it's to the part time program, or do I have to wait until after my 2nd part time year?  Thanks!

brightline

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Can you transfer if you are a part time student?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 07:32:53 PM »
It largely depends on the schools you hope to apply to as a transfer. Transferring to another part-time program shouldn't pose any problems logistically. If you hope to attend full-time next year some schools may allow you to transfer credits taken in the summer at your original school to catch up. Others will not. You'll have to call the schools you're interested in applying to transfer to and see what they say.

USC313

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 03:39:42 AM »
I'm also a part-time student and I've looked into the transferring option as well. Most schools seem to have a minimum number of credits that you need to have completed by the end of your first year (Part or Full time) in order to be eligible to transfer. For most schools it seems to be in the low 20s--which typically a student will have even if they are part time. But, like the last post said, you'll have to go the the admissions web page on the schools you are thinking about transferring to to get any specifics. Yeah, its a pain. But on the bright side we get to call ourselves 4Ls, lol.

By the way, what school do you go to if you don't mind me asking? I'm not sure all that many schools have part time programs, so I'm wondering if we are at the same one.

amoebalaw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 07:13:48 PM »
The top tier schools, you are going to have a very hard time transferring because you won't have the credits necessary at the end of the year, and by the time you are done with them over the Summer, they'll have most of their spots filled.

Part-time to part-time is doable, and some schools accept part-timers even after the first semester, I think. 

Definitely put a call in to the admissions offices of the places you are interested in. And check out the transferapps group on yahoo...

Good luck!

nicole404

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 03:37:09 AM »
I go to Southwestern in Los Angeles

Bob Loblaw Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 08:51:14 AM »
the correct answer is to check each school on a case by case basis.  there is no absolute answer to this question.

some schools may require you to have completed the equivilent of a first year full time program at your school; however, in my experience in applying to T1's, most did not.  I transferred from a part time program T2 to a full time T25 without any problem. 

intel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 01:46:05 AM »
the correct answer is to check each school on a case by case basis.  there is no absolute answer to this question.

some schools may require you to have completed the equivilent of a first year full time program at your school; however, in my experience in applying to T1's, most did not.  I transferred from a part time program T2 to a full time T25 without any problem. 

did you do 1 whole year as PT or 1 just one (Fall) semester?

how do transfer prospects change when one has done 10 hrs (as part time) first semester of 1L and then switched to full time for second semester?