Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Reasons For a Law School Degree  (Read 3073 times)

JackTaylorsPlace

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Reasons For a Law School Degree
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 01:01:41 PM »
I'm in law school because I want to make money, find direction (dumb idea) and also want to do more than just be a data processor (another stupid idea from what I heard). I also simply like the process of learning and law school seemed more interesting than business school and I had no focus for another graduate school. I mean why would we rack up hundreds of thousands of dollars in loans in loans if we can't make enough to pay them off? So we can be the plucky little go getter out to help the little guy?

People can like the law. People can like working in the law. But if we were going to be making just $40,000 as a lawyer, how many of us would really do this?

james

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 01:50:50 PM »
LOL! I can't believe none of you got the joke!- good one Jill, had us going there.

jeffislouie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 06:28:15 PM »
I certainly don't mean to discourage anyone, not that I think I did, but...
If you really think $160k is a lot of money and that it's worth the hours, talk to me in 5 years.
The fact is you can find a job straight out of college and within 5 years be making closer to $300k.
I sell tech for a living now.  The guy who sits next to me works from 8:30-5:30, monday through friday.  He's been doing this for 4 and a half years.  He is pulling in $350k a year and doesn't have to work weekends, get emergency calls from clients in the middle of the night, or worry about work.  He bought a house last year and paid it off this year.
He comes in, sells stuff to his customers, and goes home.
The point here is that there are jobs out there where you can make more.  There are jobs out there that don't require much of an education.
I've only been doing it for 2 and a half years, and never really put too much effort into it, and I'm going to clear $75k this year.  If I decided not to go to law school, I could easily be making 6 figures next year.
My girlfriends brother in law works where I work as well.  He's been there 10 years.  He makes close to $400,000 a year.  His lawyer makes less than half what he makes.  He bought property in a nice cushy suburb, raised the house that was on it and built a huge house on the property.
If all you want is to make money get your real estate license, move to a big city, and work for a few years.  You'll make more money than a fresh faced law school graduate well before they graduate.  Or go find a job in sales with a big company.
Justice is tangy....

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 06:44:58 PM »
the thing is though, it is a crap shoot whether or not you will get one of those jobs and whether or not you will make that money.  Out of the people I went to college with, almost none have jobs that require degrees, and the few that do are actuaries or teachers.  Going into law school, I was guaranteed a job making 160K.  Also, I love the law, I am a dork like that, and have no point in free time even on weekends.  Too each his own I guess.  Just keep in mind, the people you are talking about making 300-400K five years out of undergrad are the exception, while 2 years out of law school, every one of my friends (except one who wants to do government work), will be making 200K+.

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2007, 09:18:02 PM »
If you really think $160k is a lot of money and that it's worth the hours, talk to me in 5 years.
The fact is you can find a job straight out of college and within 5 years be making closer to $300k.
I sell tech for a living now.  The guy who sits next to me works from 8:30-5:30, monday through friday.  He's been doing this for 4 and a half years.  He is pulling in $350k a year and doesn't have to work weekends, get emergency calls from clients in the middle of the night, or worry about work.  He bought a house last year and paid it off this year.
The point here is that there are jobs out there where you can make more.  There are jobs out there that don't require much of an education.
I've only been doing it for 2 and a half years, and never really put too much effort into it, and I'm going to clear $75k this year.  If I decided not to go to law school, I could easily be making 6 figures next year.
My girlfriends brother in law works where I work as well.  He's been there 10 years.  He makes close to $400,000 a year.  His lawyer makes less than half what he makes.  He bought property in a nice cushy suburb, raised the house that was on it and built a huge house on the property.
If all you want is to make money get your real estate license, move to a big city, and work for a few years.  You'll make more money than a fresh faced law school graduate well before they graduate.  Or go find a job in sales with a big company.

Lawyers don't get emergency calls from clients in the middle of the night ... they aren't doctors.  Nighttime = sleeping and phone off.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2007, 11:33:18 PM »

This is outright BS lol.  If you make upwards of $150k per year you are in the top 10% of American households in terms of income.  Get a clue.

jeffislouie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2007, 01:20:48 AM »
-Criminal defense attorneys do get calls in the middle of the night.
-You are right, the people who are 5 years out of undergrad making that kind of money are the exception.
But I can only tell you about where I currently work.
If you make
Justice is tangy....

McLovin

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2007, 04:12:49 AM »
Am I the only one who is going to law school so I can use it as a pick up line?  If you're a doctor or a lawyer you have a much easier time getting a girl to sleep with you.  It's a beautiful thing.

jeffislouie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2007, 07:28:12 PM »
Am I the only one who is going to law school so I can use it as a pick up line?  If you're a doctor or a lawyer you have a much easier time getting a girl to sleep with you.  It's a beautiful thing.

That's the BEST reason for going to law school....
Justice is tangy....

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2007, 08:07:40 PM »

That's the BEST reason for going to law school....

Not in DC, everyone is a lawyer here...