Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: i need help fast  (Read 1359 times)

futurelawyer93

• View Profile
i need help fast
« on: November 07, 2007, 09:13:28 PM »
well im 14 years old and a freshmen. i need to no wat classes to take especially math and what are the best colleges to be a criminal lawyer. ty

danbranum

• View Profile
Re: i need help fast
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 11:12:11 PM »
Don't worry about what classes to take.  It doesn't really matter.  Just take stuff that you are interested in and you know you can get good grades in.  At law school there are everything from music/dram majors to engineering majors.  It really doesn't matter unless you want to specialize in something that requires a particular background.  For example if you want to practice medical law you might need a medical background in order for you to get a job in that field, or to work on patents you need a technical background.  I took philosophy, pyschology and political science classes at college and nothing in particular in high school.
Good luck!
Dan.
www.danbranum.com

depositlaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 11:21:54 PM »
well im 14 years old and a freshmen. i need to no wat classes to take especially math and what are the best colleges to be a criminal lawyer. ty

You need to no wat to capitalize and how to spell! 
Don't worry about math.
By the time you're licensed in 2018 lawyers will have been replaced by On-Star.
But if you're still interested in the subject, academically, concentrate on writing.

And if you someday have Chicago or Illinois landlord problems, visit http://www.depositlaw.com

Strong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 11:38:03 PM »

Try not to get pregnant.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 11:45:54 PM »
"well im 14 years old and a freshmen. i need to no wat classes to take especially math and what are the best colleges to be a criminal lawyer. ty"

Well, I'm 14 years old and a freshman.  I need to know what classes to take, especially math, and what are the best colleges to go to to eventually pursue a career in criminal law.  Thank you.

Fixed it for you.  That is pretty much the only thing I can help you with.  I really do not believe you are in high school, and even if you are, you have absolutely no clue what being a lawyer, let alone a criminal lawyer, is like.  So, chill for a few years.

conrad42

• Ceci n'est pas une law student.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 11:55:39 PM »

I would focus on getting into the best undergrad possible. The primary skills you need to develop right now are good study habits and discipline. It's been a long time since I applied to undergrad, but here is what worked for me:

1. Take as many advanced and AP classes as possible, and that includes math, science, foreign language, and literature. Get good grades in these classes. If your school has weighted advanced class, i.e. an A in an advanced class is 5.0 points, but an A in a normal class is 4.0, this will do wonders for your GPA. Also, talk to your teachers about what you want. In my freshman year English class, I told my teacher repeatedly that I wanted her to recommend me for the advanced English my sophomore year, and she did.
2. Do as well as possible on the SATs. Take a prep class if necessary.
3. Take part in school activities - if you can do a varsity sport that is great. If not, you should do something else like drama, etc. Besides, activities are fun.
4. Do something else that will make you stand out.  For example, I had an after-school internship with an engineer at NASA. Perhaps you could volunteer for a local political campaign? Helping homeless, battered women, and people like that looks good as well.

Lampshade Punk

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Even in the quietest moments."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 12:22:43 AM »
I have a prediction:  Everyone in your law school class will hate you.  Cheer up, enjoy being young, and don't decide you are going to law school until you take the LSAT.  kthanksbye

Bob Loblaw Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 08:50:08 AM »

i need help fast?  damn right you need help fast.  i mean seriously, you need to take the lsat in less than 6 years!  have you registered with lsdas yet?  where will you apply?  have you considered the prospects of transferring?  what about that drinking ticket that you may get in 4 years; how will you report that in an addendum?  what about the gunner sitting in the front row that you may have to silence in 8 years? 

get on the ball son, you're behind!

vaplaugh

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 08:52:24 AM »
Focus on English, not math.

Don't worry about the undergrad you go to. It won't matter unless you are at one of the top schools. Spend as little money as possible on undergrad - keep your debt low or nonexistent.  Go to a community college for a year if you must.  God knows what law school tuition will be like 8 years from now.  Probably around $50K.

Focus on your college grades - go to class.  Start prepping for the LSAT as a freshman in college.

Volunteer at a district attorney or public defender office to see if you like criminal law.

Lampshade Punk

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Even in the quietest moments."
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 10:26:47 AM »
I can't even imagine the personality of a 14 year old who is already worrying about law school.  Knowing this is a flame gives some sense of relief. Shouldn't he be worrying about how to unlock some secret weapon on the newest RPG?!  Am I that dated already?