Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1L at T14, Is Applying for Summer Associate Position at BigLaw a Waste of Time?  (Read 3535 times)

IAmMultipleBooks

• View Profile
It seems that BigLaw generally take less than ten 1Ls per office (usually much less).

My adviser told me I should send letters to almost every firm if I want a chance (about 40-50 per city); but then I would just be sending out non-tailored cover letters that might make me look like I'm doing routine job apps.

My undergraduate GPA was magna cum in a business-related field, but I don't have extensive experience (I'm young compared to most).

What do I do? Do I focus only on non-paying internships, or do I apply to the BigLaw firms? And, if the latter, how exactly do I go about it? Tailor each letter very meticulously? Or send a hell of a lot to everyone?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
I would decide which firms you like the most, and tailor your letters to them.  And then send out more mass/generic letters to the rest.

It can be very hard to get an SA position with a firm as a 1L, but it's definitely not impossible and coming from a T14 will help a lot.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
umm... make them as personal as you can, but send them out to everyone.  I had a few friends get big law jobs (non-t14, but t25) and that was the approach they took.  I didnt end up with one, but i got an offer to skip oci the next year and come right in for a callback interview.  It translated into a great job offer for my 2L summer, so whatever.  Just put in as much time as you can, but obviously grades are more important then firms at this point, so dont put off your studies making your cover letters.

IAmMultipleBooks

• View Profile
1) If I apply to a firm at one of its branch locations, can I send an application to another of its branches? Should I? Or Not?

2) What are the advantages and drawbacks of applying for a 1L Summer Associate position at a less well-known firm?

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
1) If I apply to a firm at one of its branch locations, can I send an application to another of its branches? Should I? Or Not?

2) What are the advantages and drawbacks of applying for a 1L Summer Associate position at a less well-known firm?

1) of course, go for it

2) none, who cares what the reputation is, it is work, any large firm will look great on an application.  just maybe not the cochran firm

oscarsonthepond

• mmm....bOOYA!!!
    • View Profile
It of course depends on your grades once they come out, but my advice would be to apply to firms that come to Spring OCIs, but don't waste your time on other firms.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Go for it. Factors like tailoring the resume, finding hiring attorney that are alums, etc. can help. If they have a hiring contact at different offices, apply to each. Central location, apply to one.