Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How about DLA piper  (Read 2482 times)

perse

• View Profile
    • Email
How about DLA piper
« on: November 06, 2007, 09:22:29 PM »
Hey, I checked the vault but it doesn't give much infomation for free. Any one has any info about its salary, atomosphere, hours,etc etc? or know where to find such info? such as will it match the same level of salaries as the top 30 big law firms?

Thanks ???

Alamo79

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How about DLA piper
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 08:43:45 AM »
nalpdirectory.com; not much on atmosphere, but has the basics.

I'd also try a search on abovethelaw.com

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 08:50:51 AM »
nalpdirectory.com; not much on atmosphere, but has the basics.

I'd also try a search on abovethelaw.com

They are going to pay the same as every other market rate firm out there.

jd2bee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 03:00:59 PM »
Which office are you wondering about and which practice group?   That will make a huge impact on the environment, people, vibe, etc.  Also, the American Lawyer's 2007 Summer Associate Survey just came out and has some good info.  Check out www.americanlawyerse.com (I think).

yykm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 04:18:14 PM »
I've heard a number of things from various attys about DLA.  I'll just pout off a number of things I heard... The main thing to know about the firm is that recently it has bought up a lot of firms to increase its share of the market.  Some attys think that such a strategy may hurt the firm as a whole b/c they think that the firm may not have thought through/strategically made these moves.  Another issue they had was that the firm doesnt seem to have an identity. The atmosphere will likely differ from one office to another at the firm too.  It seems like mostly a bunch of different firms with one name presiding.  Keep an eye on the revenue returns too, the profit-per-partner may have taken a hit from all this expansion.

jd2bee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 05:28:43 PM »
I've heard a number of things from various attys about DLA.  I'll just pout off a number of things I heard... The main thing to know about the firm is that recently it has bought up a lot of firms to increase its share of the market.  Some attys think that such a strategy may hurt the firm as a whole b/c they think that the firm may not have thought through/strategically made these moves.  Another issue they had was that the firm doesnt seem to have an identity. The atmosphere will likely differ from one office to another at the firm too.  It seems like mostly a bunch of different firms with one name presiding.  Keep an eye on the revenue returns too, the profit-per-partner may have taken a hit from all this expansion.

PPP are over a mill I believe - they've gone up since the merger, not down, and they continue to rise each year.  I think that at any huge firm, different offices will take on different personalities/atmospheres, as will any practice groups.  The firm is growing, though, not just in terms of numbers, but in terms of client base, identity, prestige, etc.  There are definitely drawbacks to working for any huge firm, but there are also benefits - easy to tranfer to different offices if you have to/want to move, great secondment opportunities, high profile clients, big impact with pro-bono projects.

If you have specific questions regarding the firm or specific offices, pm or email me - I can probably provide some good information to you as I have fairly strong ties to the firm.

yykm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 07:44:41 AM »

PPP are over a mill I believe - they've gone up since the merger, not down, and they continue to rise each year.  I think that at any huge firm, different offices will take on different personalities/atmospheres, as will any practice groups.  The firm is growing, though, not just in terms of numbers, but in terms of client base, identity, prestige, etc.  There are definitely drawbacks to working for any huge firm, but there are also benefits - easy to tranfer to different offices if you have to/want to move, great secondment opportunities, high profile clients, big impact with pro-bono projects.

If you have specific questions regarding the firm or specific offices, pm or email me - I can probably provide some good information to you as I have fairly strong ties to the firm.
I just posted what I had heard from other attys about DLA.  They seemed concerned iwth firms that just constantly buy up places to expand.  I didnt look into DLA all that much myself as there were other firms that interested me more.  The conversation came up with a few different attys at other firms that have more of a traditional mindset with how to expand operations.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 07:53:24 AM »
Just a quick aside about firms that buy up smaller firms as the primary method of expansion..

The strategy works pretty well at first, but once firms start buying in smaller markets or buy too quickly, things can turn ugly pretty fast - the overhead on running these satellite offices isn't cheap.  Holland & Knight used this strategy, and ultimately it backfired on them.  They closed down a bunch of smaller satellites w/in a few years after they bought them.  They ultimately left their summer associates high and dry (they offered them a spot in any other office, but for people who wanted to stay in those smaller markets for whatever reason this probably wasn't very helpful).

Holland & Knight still hasn't changed their growth strategy after this little fiasco, so maybe they have it under control now.  And perhaps DLA is being a little more careful with who and where they buy?  I have no idea.  But anyways, there can be some real downsides to this expansion strategy.

csloan999

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 01:57:04 PM »
Just a quick aside about firms that buy up smaller firms as the primary method of expansion..
Holland & Knight still hasn't changed their growth strategy after this little fiasco, so maybe they have it under control now.  And perhaps DLA is being a little more careful with who and where they buy?  I have no idea.  But anyways, there can be some real downsides to this expansion strategy.

There's also success stories, i.e. Baker McKenzie.  Biggest firm in the world pulling off this strategy, and fairly successful to boot.

Krisace

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007, 08:34:59 PM »
I disagreee as to salary.  Come this next spring or soon thereafter, a bunch of firms will jump.  Pretty soon, we're going to have a two or three-tiered market salary structure and DLA will be in the middle or lower-middle of that bunch.

It'd be worth looking into whether DLA even pays lockstep salary (guaranteeing the 10-15K increases in salary by year).  Some firms don't.  People don't talk abotu this enough. 

Buyer beware...