Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1L firm jobs  (Read 2322 times)

Luigi rules

• View Profile
1L firm jobs
« on: November 03, 2007, 05:40:59 PM »
For the concluding paragraph of cover letters are people requesting that the firm contact them or saying something like "I will call you next week to try to arrange a convenient time...."

The whole threat of calling an employer always seemed a little over the top to me.  If you're using the latter, what do you plan on saying when you call?

Thanks,

-inept 1L

Also, I'm at a T10 school but outside of the HYSC crowd.  Is applying for firm jobs without any personal connections just a waste of time and postage?

WhiteyEMSR

• View Profile
Re: 1L firm jobs
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 06:59:54 PM »
The firm I summered at (V25) took 3 1Ls out of 16 total. One from Chicago, one from Northwestern and one from Michigan. They all got offers. Don't firms do an OCI for 1Ls shortly after Christmas? 

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 1L firm jobs
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 07:00:46 PM »
I am at a top 25 law school, so way outside HYS.  anyway, my friends had mixed results with firms there first summer.  The IP guys all seemed to get firm jobs.  Only one of the others had one his first summer in a major market (he had a 4.0 his first semester).  Another got a big law job in a smaller market.  So, basically, apply anyway.  I did a lot of email applications for firms, and whatever.  I didnt get one (I was top 15%).  However, one firm invited me to skip screening interviews the next summer and go right to callbacks, and I ended up with an offer for my second summer from then.

So, take a risk.

Dont call them or say you will call them.  It is creepy and most likely they dont want you.  If for some reason they did want you, they will call.  I bet you get one or two interviews out of it if you are in a decent position in your class.  A lot of firms like to do screening interviews with 1Ls just so they get a feel for the firm and want to come back the next year.