Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Test Scores on my Resume?  (Read 2933 times)

IAmMultipleBooks

• View Profile
Test Scores on my Resume?
« on: November 03, 2007, 10:06:50 AM »
I'm a 1L soon I'll be look I'll be looking for a job. My career adviser critiqued my resume and says I should not put my test scores there. She says law firms don't want to see it. The problem is that I don't have a lot of experience (graduated from college within three years, and went straight to law school), and I think my test scores show that I'm pretty good at writing (800 on the SAT 2 writing and on the SAT verbal, [171 on the LSAT]).

Do I just omit the scores? It seems like a waste.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Test Scores on my Resume?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 10:08:08 AM »
Dude, nobody cares how you did on the SAT or the LSAT, period.

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 10:14:25 AM »
Dude, nobody cares how you did on the SAT or the LSAT, period.

I agree - I've never seen scores like that on anyone's resume.  It takes up pointless space when you want to restrict a resume to a page or less.  Those scores weren't a waste - they served their purpose.  They got you into school.  Employers don't care (and probably don't even know much about them - especially SAT 2 scores which not everyone even takes).

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 10:28:09 AM »
yea, definitely leave them off.  I have different reasons for saying that. 

1. your lsat might make people who did worse then you feel bad and those that did better then you look down on you when reading your resume

2. nalp doesnt allow employers to even ask about your lsat score, so it is clear that they dont want it making any difference not that it would anyway

3. test scores are a poor indicator of performance

4. you being a good writer in undergrad has no reflection on your ability to do well in law school.  legal writing, as i am sure you have been told a thousand times, is completely opposite of every thing you have ever done.  Therefore, your high sat II scores may even serve as a detriment to your legal writing.  Plus, it will look terrible when you have an 800 on your sat II and couldnt pull the high pass in LRW

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
2L

LawLady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 03:11:26 PM »
Putting test scores on a resume is like putting your high school information there - most people are so past that, your resume will seem like a joke.  I have never seen anyone ever list a test score, and would be appalled if I saw it. 

Lampshade Punk

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Even in the quietest moments."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 10:39:07 AM »
When I tell people my LSAT score in an interview, they make me their boss.  true story.

oscarsonthepond

• mmm....bOOYA!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 11:26:43 AM »
I could see someone asking about the LSAT, but come on....SAT2? for a job that requires a graduate degree?!?  This has to be a flame.  Under no circumstances should you ever put these on your resume.  It's not that they wouldn't be impressed....they'd probably think a 171 was awesome and they'd want to hire you if they found that out...unless they found it out because it was on your resume.  Then they would think you were really odd/arrogant/wacky for putting it on there.

My recommendation: if you really want it to come up, go teach an LSAT class for awhile - you'll make $30+/hr and w/ that on your resume people who read it will either (1) assume that you got a really high score or (2) ask you what your score was.  Note that not everyone will catch it as they skim your resume.  If you don't want to teach a full-blown class just tutor one or two people on it and it'll have a similar effect w/out taking so much of your time (it will also act as good filler for your limited resume).

conrad42

• Ceci n'est pas une law student.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 03:00:41 PM »
I'm a 1L soon I'll be look I'll be looking for a job. My career adviser critiqued my resume and says I should not put my test scores there. She says law firms don't want to see it. The problem is that I don't have a lot of experience (graduated from college within three years, and went straight to law school), and I think my test scores show that I'm pretty good at writing (800 on the SAT 2 writing and on the SAT verbal, [171 on the LSAT]).

Just to add to all of the other accurate comments.

Placing your LSAT score on your resume will only hurt you, because your school is a proxy for your score. In relation to your classmates, your LSAT is either 1) at median, 2) below median, or 3) above median. In none of these situations will providing your score help you.

First, if you have a median score, you don't accomplish anything by telling your prospective employer. She'll probably wonder why you bothered because she would have assumed that you are around your school's median if there is no score. This might indicate you that you do not have much common sense.

Second, if you have a below median score, then you are hurting your job prospects. The employer will see that your score is below your classmates' scores, and she likely will think this means you are not as smart as your peers are.

Finally, if your score is above the median, you are still hurting your job prospects. If the employer sees your score is above your peers' scores, then she will assume that something else is wrong with you, because otherwise you would have gone to a better school.

Since none of these scenarios reflect well upon you, why would you put your LSAT on your resume?

StrictlyLiable

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 08:16:16 PM »

Yeah, and you can show them your Weebloes patch from Cub Scouts, too. ::)