Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone taking the MPRE tomorrow  (Read 4266 times)

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone taking the MPRE tomorrow
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2007, 09:06:36 PM »
How does it work -- do you have to do this before you take the actual bar exam? Is it something you do in your third year?

All depends on your state.
For Illinois, you can take it after you have 60 hours under your belt.
Air Force JAG Corps

AtlAggie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2007, 10:40:51 PM »
I felt like I failed last march and got a 114 or something like that.

Agreed. I took it in August, and my friends and I all had the same feeling. It's typical after finishing the MPRE. Don't worry, we all passed, and I'm sure y'all did too.  :)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 07:02:57 AM »
Thanks everyone for the reassurance that this feeling is normal.

I guess we should all get used to it, since this is apparently how everyone feels after the bar exam.   :P

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 08:29:49 AM »
yeah i dont know.. there were a lot of "could go either way" type questions on that exam.. i would not be shocked to find myself taking it again in march

a quick question: say that by some miracle i finish with a relatively decent score - can i use that score to satisfy my ethics req for various states or do i have to take it again to waive into another state (i.e. does this thing operate on an 1:1 score-to-state basis?) ?

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2007, 10:39:09 AM »
yeah i dont know.. there were a lot of "could go either way" type questions on that exam.. i would not be shocked to find myself taking it again in march

a quick question: say that by some miracle i finish with a relatively decent score - can i use that score to satisfy my ethics req for various states or do i have to take it again to waive into another state (i.e. does this thing operate on an 1:1 score-to-state basis?) ?

My understanding is that if you score meets the state minimum for whatever state, you are fine in terms of MPRE reciprocity.
That is, if I get 100, I will be fine for the ethics requirements for Ohio as well as Illinois. The issue is if Ohio is an 85, Illinois is an 80, and the test results have me at an 81.

Air Force JAG Corps

John Galt

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2007, 12:10:48 PM »

You don't have to take it again if your score is high enough to satisfy the req.

Burning Sands

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2007, 12:23:51 PM »
I was with a lot of fellow post MPRE-ers at a party last night. There was not a single person who felt good about that test. If I pass, I will be just at that 80 cut off. Thank god my state is not an 85.

LOL.  I'm sure most law students would agree that the topic of Ethics is not a hard subject at all, but the way it is tested on the MPRE without a doubt makes it one of the most difficult tests you will have to take in law school.   But the NCBE knows it is hard so you can take solace in the fact that it has a somewhat generous curve. 

So you didn't do as bad as you may think.
Burning Sands

IMI

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2007, 12:10:17 PM »
I was with a lot of fellow post MPRE-ers at a party last night. There was not a single person who felt good about that test. If I pass, I will be just at that 80 cut off. Thank god my state is not an 85.

LOL. I'm sure most law students would agree that the topic of Ethics is not a hard subject at all, but the way it is tested on the MPRE without a doubt makes it one of the most difficult tests you will have to take in law school.  But the NCBE knows it is hard so you can take solace in the fact that it has a somewhat generous curve. 

So you didn't do as bad as you may think.

Burning, while it is true that PR is not a hard subject, it is undeniable that it is the most important class in law school; may be that is why they test it the way they do! :) 

Burning Sands

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2007, 06:33:02 PM »
It is def up there.  The first thing you will be told to do when any client approaches you for representation -

conflicts check

conflicts check

and

conflicts check

Ethics/Prof. Conduct plays a huge role in the practice (as it should).
Burning Sands

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2007, 07:03:13 PM »
Don't be surprised if you walk out of the test feeling like you've failed. I think that's normal.