Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I Need Civ Pro Studying Advice Please  (Read 1619 times)

Jill

• View Profile
I Need Civ Pro Studying Advice Please
« on: November 01, 2007, 08:35:57 PM »
Hi,
I am a 1L and my Civ Pro final is 35 days away. I have a terrible Civ Pro professor who justs enjoys spending 2 hours in every class terrorizing students with his scare tactics and socratic method instead of teaching the Civ Pro course. And the Civ Pro book from class I have is vague and unorganized. Consequently, I find that I have to teach myself the lessons when I go home to study but I am having difficulty doing that. I would appreciate any advice you could give me on how to go about teaching myself Civ Pro.  I read the cases, but there is no structure or organization to my professor's class, so I get lost on how best to learn it.  Could you please recommend some good Civ Pro books that can teach me the different lessons?  Or any other ways to learn it and/or advice you have so I can teach myself Civ Pro?  Thank you for your help.

brightline

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: I Need Civ Pro Studying Advice Please
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 09:31:29 PM »
Civ Pro Example and Explanations by Glannon. Make sure you get the most recent edition.

Get it pronto.

Other than that, this book is good for the FRCPs. Do not buy full-price edition. Call the publisher and tell them you want the cheaper student edition.

http://jonesmcclure.com/product.asp?prod=98

USC313

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 01:06:20 AM »
I concur--get the Glannon book as soon as you can. I think the latest is the 5th addition. I know what you mean about Civil Procedure being a mess--Sometimes the cases just simply don't tell you everything you need to know and if you have a bad professor (which it seems like you do) that can just make it more confusing. Glannon writes in a narrative style--very direct and down to earth--its almost like reading a regular book. I used it when I studied for my midterm and I KNOW it helped me get a better grade than I would have without it. In fact I think about 75% of my Civ Pro class has the book. My recommendation is to read Glannon for whatever corresponding topic you are studying in Civ Pro.  He breaks everything down and sometimes uses diagrams to illustrate a concept. Trust me Civ Pro begins to make more sense after you've read him. The added benefit is the "examples" part. He provides a series of hypotheticals along with very good explanations. You can test yourself by trying to get the answer first.

Anyways, that's my two cents. Hope this helps. By the way, where do you go to law school?

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 11:33:25 AM »
I am outing myself as a huge nerd here, but I listened to portions of the "Sum and Substance" CDs on Civ Pro and found them to be very helpful. They are broken up into "chapters" so you can skip the subjects that you did not cover in class.

It is essentially a professor giving a lecture... but if your professor is really as terrible as you say, it may help to hear someone else explain things.

2L

MiamiLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 04:50:06 PM »
what is funny is my civ pro professor actually asigned us "Glannon" as one of the required books. We have to read pages out of it for each reading.

procrastinator

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 11:49:22 AM »
tag

STLGirlAtHeart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 02:31:25 PM »
As stated, Glannon's is awesome. So is "Acing Civil Procedure". Check it out.

Burning Sands

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 02:39:25 PM »
Absolutely concur in the judgment - Glannon's Examples & Explanations for Civ Pro is a must have.  His break down of subject matter jurisdiction, personal jurisdiction, and venue will turn you into a Civ Pro guru in no time.

In addition, you may also find the Flash Cards helpful since Civ Pro is very rule based.  The repetition from the cards does a lot to put all of the rules into context.
Burning Sands

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 04:30:41 PM »
I didnt do anymore then the assigned readings out of glannin, but as far as advice goes, start your outlining now for the class.  When you start going through your class notes, everything might come together.  I seldom have even the remotest clue about what is going on in the class till after I begin outlining.  Also, take advantage of outline banks in understanding the concepts.  NYU has a great one.  There are some 50-90 page outlines on there that are amazing.  While I do not recommend using the outline, many of the students really organize and break down a concept when putting together an outline. As a result, you can read their outlines on the concepts your really dont get and it helps to figure it out. 

lanval

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 08:14:51 PM »
Glannon was good for answering questions I had, but nothing beats the charts in Crunchtime for actual exam prep -- especially if you redraw them and fine tune them to the class you are in.