Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Accepted SA position...meeting with attorneys from firm  (Read 1542 times)

superman10

• View Profile
Accepted SA position...meeting with attorneys from firm
« on: October 28, 2007, 11:12:57 PM »
I have accepted a position at a firm for the summer. I'm meeting some of their junior associates for a lunch and even though I'm comfortable around them (after all, these were the same people that had a hand in hiring me), I am a bit nervous because at some psychological/subliminal level, they will continue to scrutinize or evaluate me.

As such, I need to give off a really good impression. Of course, I'll just be myself, but in terms of what we talk about, do I keep it all about work? Do I try to show them more of a personal side?

In general, I'm guessing I'll have random meetings here and there with people from the firm, and I'm wondering if there are any general suggestions.

Thanks!

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Accepted SA position...meeting with attorneys from firm
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 11:31:43 PM »
Don't sit there and try to keep the conversation about work.  Relax, and just go where the conversation goes.  They'll want to know more about you personally, and it's important you get to know them on a personal level.  Just don't totally let your guard down, and remember these people are still your "bosses" of a sort. 

If they start telling crazy drinking stories though, feel free to perhaps contribute one of your own (although maybe not your most scandalous one).  Welcome to the world of being an SA, where you somtimes have to toe the line between being a boring, professional prude and and inappropriate drunken whore.

oscarsonthepond

• mmm....bOOYA!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 12:06:33 AM »
Like the above poster said, this is what you're going to be doing every day as a SA so don't stress about it.  It should be a nice, relaxed meal.  If you have work questions, then ask them....if not, then don't try to keep it on work as I'm sure they'd love to talk about other stuff.  Obviously don't do anything majorly stupid that would cost you an offer, but beyond that just enjoy yourself and begin your quest to discover whether you like these people enough to spend at least a few years working with them.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 12:46:15 AM »
just let them control the conversation and relax.  My firm had a cocktail hour/dinner after i accepted.  I drank way too much.  Dont do that! other then that, i mean, the conversation probably shouldnt revolve around work, but let them start it up and just follow along.

sheezy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 10:24:02 PM »
i'm about to accept a biglaw offer. is it pretty typical that they take you out after acceptance? what if you live out of state?

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 11:47:13 PM »
i'm about to accept a biglaw offer. is it pretty typical that they take you out after acceptance? what if you live out of state?

mine did, but as far as i know, it was only people in the area that were invited.

sheezy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 08:04:16 AM »

mine did, but as far as i know, it was only people in the area that were invited.

shiz. that's disappointing to hear.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 09:28:24 AM »
you will have plenty of free dinners/lunches this summer... be thankful you didnt have to miss class