Law School Discussion

Case Western Reserve University or Boston College

Case Western Reserve University or Boston College
« on: October 26, 2007, 04:37:16 PM »
My situation is unique.  I have already completed my first year of law school at Boston College.  Due to some crazy circumstances I had to take a leave of absence (family situation). My grades during my first year were less than stellar.  I worked at a firm after first year, but had to leave also due to leave of absencefrom school.  My question is should I return to BC or attend Case Western Reserve which is close to hometown?

Pros and Cons:
1. I have two children and if I stay near home I will have family support and won't need to worry about baby sitting issues (no family in Boston).
2.  My GPA will start over at Case.
3. B.C. is a higher ranked school and if I work my ass off, I can bring my GPA up before graduation.
4.  If I go back to Boston, I may have to temporarily leave my family behind due to baby sitting issues. 

--Do you think higher rank outweighs possibly better gpa at lower ranked school?

Re: Case Western Reserve University or Boston College
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 04:48:28 PM »
Can you be a guest student at Case for a semester or two?

cesco

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 04:54:33 PM »
Where do you want to live when you graduate?

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 05:14:08 PM »

That's also another option I have.  I have contacted Case about doing guest work as well as transferring, due to my unique situation.  What would you do?

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 05:16:13 PM »
Where do you want to live when you graduate?

To be honest with you, I'm not completely sure. I'd be satisfied living just about any place I was offered employment with a good salary at a firm.  Location after law school isn't a big issue.

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 06:15:05 PM »
Note that just because your GPA starts over at the new school, doesn't mean your BC grades are gone.

You'll still have to list your first year of attendance at BC on your resume, though you can leave off your GPA if it is bad. Don't be surprised if employers ask you for a first year transcript should you decide to continue at Case. You might have to explain why your grades were bad.

This is definitely a unique situation.

It may be that BC's higher rank will help you out..but then again, maybe not. you'd be relying primarily on 3L OCI (not likely to get any offers in 2L OCI with poor 1L grades), which as many can attest to is a big gamble. So I wouldn't count on a big bucks job by a longshot, although employers may be more lenient if you had a very good reason for the leave of absence. I think it's really too hard to say. You need to talk to other people who have taken a year off in the middle of law school. Maybe BC can put you in touch with people who did this.

If Big Law is definitely out because you'd be gambling with 3L OCI, I would think about attending a cheaper state school, like Cleveland State, because you might end up graduating without a job offer.

Alternately, you could take a few years off and maybe start from scratch by doing 1L over.

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 08:13:06 PM »

That's also another option I have.  I have contacted Case about doing guest work as well as transferring, due to my unique situation.  What would you do?

It sounds like you'd be in a tough spot if you moved back to go to BC right now and stress certainly isn't going to help your grades.  I'd think about doing guest work at Case while you figure it out.  That would give you time to checkout whether graduating from Case would work for you or if you'd be better off making arrangements to head back to BC. 

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 02:12:36 PM »
Note that just because your GPA starts over at the new school, doesn't mean your BC grades are gone.

You'll still have to list your first year of attendance at BC on your resume, though you can leave off your GPA if it is bad. Don't be surprised if employers ask you for a first year transcript should you decide to continue at Case. You might have to explain why your grades were bad.

This is definitely a unique situation.

It may be that BC's higher rank will help you out..but then again, maybe not. you'd be relying primarily on 3L OCI (not likely to get any offers in 2L OCI with poor 1L grades), which as many can attest to is a big gamble. So I wouldn't count on a big bucks job by a longshot, although employers may be more lenient if you had a very good reason for the leave of absence. I think it's really too hard to say. You need to talk to other people who have taken a year off in the middle of law school. Maybe BC can put you in touch with people who did this.

If Big Law is definitely out because you'd be gambling with 3L OCI, I would think about attending a cheaper state school, like Cleveland State, because you might end up graduating without a job offer.

Alternately, you could take a few years off and maybe start from scratch by doing 1L over.

I'm not going to get into specifics on this board but I actually have a very good reason for my leave of absence as well as my poor first year grades.  The Dean of my law school has also said that she will write a letter on my behalf explaining my unique circumstance if I decide to go to Case (that's how bad my circumstances were). She actually thought my grades were good considering what I've been through. 

I have pretty much decided to go back to BC and work my ass off to bring my gpa up.  In terms of a job next summer I will probably just work for a private practitioner, just to have something to put on my resume.  I also plan to re-take one of my 1L classes that I did poorly in. Wish me luck!